Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Baggage Trains?
Sean, this is very interesting. However, where does the Strategikon suggest that carts were pulled by mules or horses?
Quote:Sean, this is very interesting. However, where does the Strategikon suggest that carts were pulled by mules or horses?
My library is in boxes, but I will check when I am finished moving. I could have been thinking of the carroballistae of the Principate which are drawn by equines on Trajan's column. Of course these are light vehicles with a light load. I have not studied ancient transport in detail ... but a lot of the experts seem to think that Roman vehicles were better than used to be suggested.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
You are certainly right about Landels, I have looked up his sources, and Lefebre-Desnoëttes is his source for the land transport chapter, with Hilzheimer and Vigneron. I knew there were reliefs of late-Roman carts with breast-harnesss he does not mention, I believe I saw it in Bulliet's The Camel and the Wheel.

However, it still seemed plausible to me because the carts in Procopius and the Strategikon, as far as I have been able to find references, are asociated with oxen (as I told you), not with mules, the latter repeatedly referred to in Procopius as pack-animals or strategic mounts for Persian soldiers, but perhaps I missed something.
test
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman baggage camels Nathan Ross 24 4,059 10-22-2014, 06:54 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  what about the tents for the folks in the baggage train? richsc 3 1,355 06-07-2006, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Caius Fabius