Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baldrick for a late roman spatha?
Salvete Omnes!

I will get a new fourth c. AD spatha and scabbard soon. Does anyone know where to get a simple long leather strap with a buckle to use as a baldrick for it? I know it would be a quite simple item to make myself but are there some already available or someone who could perhaps make one? Any ideas? Thanks in advance! Confusedmile:
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
I can make you one. Got a buckle in mind?
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Quote:I can make you one. Got a buckle in mind?

Thanks Matt! In fact I don't know any buckles from this period. Perhaps just a simple buckle would do?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Who made your Spatha? Is it the one a page back?
Yes Evan, that's the one! Wink
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Jyrki, I may have a buckle or two that you would interested in using. They are hand made after 4th century examples. Just the right size for a baldric. I originally made them for my scale armor that I maded but decided instead to go with the tie rings. I'll use a pair for my my own baldric , but have 6 in total in three different designs. Will post images when I get back home tomorrow.
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Thanks Markus!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Just tie some string to it....or a piece of fabric.... Wink
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Just tie some string to it....or a piece of fabric.... Wink

Tie strings around it? Pervert! :grin:
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
You are a sick puppy Virilis... :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Here are some pictures of the buckles. As you can tell they are currently riveted to dyed veg tanned leather, as I had plans to use them as attaching buckles on the armor as previously mentioned. At this point they are sitting with no purpose (except the one with the inscription, which I'll likely use for my Baldric buckle).

They are 30mm long (plate) and 26mm wide. With the buckle loops they are 47mm long total (measurements are based on the original).

They are completely made by hand, from brass rod and sheet brass. The buckle tongue and loop were shaped and bent to form. The plate designs were made from custom made punches in order to make the domes.

The whole design is based off of this original late 4th Century buckle. Two have oak leaves in the middle, one has the swastika and the other has Victoria Romanvm on it. The two domes on the outside are actually the rivet heads (like the original).

They have been silvered as well. I'd have to remove the current leather strap and provide the replacement rivets with the buckles.

Cheers
Markus

[attachment=6944]Bucklesfront.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=6945]Bucklesback.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=6946]Trimmedversion.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Thanks Markus, these look great! In fact I would only need one for the baldrick. How much do you want for one or two?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can the Feltwell Spatha be used for a late 4th c./early 5th c. Roman re-enactment? Lucius_Aelius 19 7,900 12-12-2022, 06:16 AM
Last Post: deepeeka
  Late antiquity spatha question LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS 21 5,604 04-22-2015, 05:13 AM
Last Post: XorX
  Late Roman Spatha- Pattern welded blade markusaurelius 27 9,419 12-24-2014, 07:01 PM
Last Post: markusaurelius