Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turf Cutters
I've seen two kinds of turf cutters. One is a semicircular with a foot-comfortable top across the diameter. This is the sort most often seen in a "modern" edger for use alongside a curb or sidewalk. Its use would be to step down and rock the blade (along the circumference).

The other is like two curved blades attached to the handle. The cutting edge is presumably on the inside (upper edge), and would be used as a pulling tool to slice layers of turf in rectangular sections. It's possible that the outer edge was also sharp, though one could not step down on the cutting edges on the top.

If I could post photos, I'd put up examples.

Which of these would be more likely to be used by a legionary or auxilia in the 1st C BC/AD?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
https://www.armamentaria.com/store/index...ge&pID=144

I have one of these, I am unsure about the second one you mention.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
David I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned the similarity of the so called turf cutter with the modern garden tool.

As far as I know many people have found the 'turf cutter' quite poor at cutting turf! However last week I found the modern variety quite good at breaking up snow and ice!

The Romans also had an entrenching tool a combination of pick and spade, which seems to do the job of cutting turf. So there would appear no reason to carry an additional tool that is not very good at doing what it is supposed to do. However the moon shaped blade also is a feature of bark trimmers with a much smaller handle, so perhaps it was really used for that.

One of the fun things about re-enactment!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Graham, I've tried to use the "modern" one, (although it's probably an antique, being made in the old style with real steel, and a socket made like an ancient spear), but even with a little file work on the "mezzaluna" side, it does poorly with the task I'd set it to. Much work and ankle impact, but not much dirt cut...and woe to the tool and the foot if you hit a rock.

GJC, yes, I have that same picture, but still can't post photos for whatever the reason. I believed that was a pulling tool, to slice sections of turf, but the step block contradicts that theory pretty effectively. You couldn't step down on it because of its shape, so presumably that's why the step block was added. I wonder if one of those strange metal projections like is put on a Roman military standard would work for that purpose.

BTW, how would one make one of those metal hookish things and attach it? Any evidence for that part of the project?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
What strikes me in the picture of originals is that the pointy ends do not curve around way as far as the armamentaria one, although that could well also be based on an original as Ade tends to go authentic. But perhaps we are using it wrongly, trying to drive it into the grond verticaly when perhaps a rolling, cutting motion would be more effective. Place it on the ground at an angle, put a boot on one end and push the pole away from you?
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
I agree with you, Robert. I am going to draw up a diagram and see if I can get one made by the blacksmith at the Utah Rennessaince Fair. Then experiment with it.
Cheers,

Ralph Young
Clinton, UT
Ralph, please give us as much information as you can about his construction techniques, how many pieces of steel, etc.... Maybe he'll let you watch. Take mental notes, at least, so we can share the knowledge.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Perhaps I can help you. From a smithing point of view, this is not a very complicated object. It can (and should) be made from a single piece of bar stock. The only part that requires two people is the hotcutting of the end where the cutter goes, but if you use a hacksaw, you can do that on your own.

I made a quick How-To, as that explains the proces. You can vary dimensions, drawing out the central bit to a square shape or rounding it, but this is IMHO the best way of doing it.

[attachment=6923]ForgingaRomanturfcutter.jpg[/attachment]

Have fun!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Quote:What strikes me in the picture of originals is that the pointy ends do not curve around way as far as the armamentaria one, although that could well also be based on an original as Ade tends to go authentic. But perhaps we are using it wrongly, trying to drive it into the grond verticaly when perhaps a rolling, cutting motion would be more effective. Place it on the ground at an angle, put a boot on one end and push the pole away from you?

Uuuh, yes, that is exactly how to use it.
However, it's shape does not prevent you putting your foot on one side, then rolling it away wit hthe handle! :-)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
http://www.scran.ac.uk/packs/exhibitions...mpaign.htm

Pictures of originals. These do not curve up near as much as the one previously shown. Oh well, Happy Forging all :wink:

http://www.curlesnewstead.org.uk/platelxi.htm
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
I am sure I have some photos of others as well, but in the mean time,
a sickle and another entrenching tool.
[attachment=6926]15142_196377797131_2009892_n.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Great picture, GJC. I was once told that there was "no archeological evidence" for the mattock-like entrencher. Well, what do you know? I have a shoe tool that is almost the right shape already, and will one day heat it up and convert it to a mattock, but I'm probably going to make the short end a pick instead of a short "axe".

Is the grey rectangle above the mattock head a whetstone?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I have a feeling it is a fragment of a tomb, marble of some description. This is taken in the
Ancient Cemetary Museum in Athens.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel