Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Squamata Doubler thread
Although this would be a possibility I highly doubt it was done that way (i.e. the front and back plates pointing in the same direction). Yes, that would mean a portion of the plates at the shoulders and the back would point up at the sky! That would play havoc with wearing a baldric. And it would expose the wearer to greater danger of injury in battle, IMO.

~Theo
Jaime
Yes, that's why I am inclined to think this is just artistic convention.
Perhaps the Carlisle find is a pointer.
And also similar to the way it is done on the ones I posted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cumbria/content/ima...ry.shtml?5
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The frieze is quite detailed especially the cingulum/ balteus.
Although I see the armor has no splits so I'm unsure how he's supposed to mount that horse!

Anyway, what about the Greek linothorax? I've seen some reproductions of scaled versions. I don't see how the plates can have a round weave pattern on rectangular shaped shoulder pieces.

@ the OP

Again, I think the answer on how the Romans did it can be found from the Dura scale horse armor. Someone more knowledgeable on that may be able to help us find out. I'm sure there's an official report from the archaeological dig somewhere.

Until then, I would go with the pattern you laid out below. At the apex of the shoulders I would hide where the rows meet by stitching or glueing a leather strip. At least that way it would visually match what we see on the Dura horse squamata.

<<<<>>>>
<<<<>>>>
<<<<>>>>

~Theo
Jaime
True, many friezes are quite detailed.
and I do have a copy of that report somewhere.
I imagine they did things in quite a few ways.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
From a construction perspective, it would certainly be easier to manufacture straight lines rather than concentric rings, seems to me. Do we have no "over the shoulder" views of squamata? If a dunderhead like myself can visualize the problem, no doubt the Ancients were able to overcome such a thing, as they encountered it much more often than I will.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Hmmm. this just illustrates the issue you are trying to overcome.

http://www.google.com/search?q=squamata+...B375%3B500
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel