Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to make orbiculi.
Tapestry weaving and needle-embroidery are not the same thing. And some rondelles, or orbiculi, were sewn onto the surface (applique) of the tunic instead of being actually woven in. Same applies to the clavi. Not all of them were woven in, either. Some were reportedly more like modern "embroidery tape" and just sewn onto the surface.

It would be astonishingly expensive to have the clavi and orbiculi woven in in a tapestry manner, I'd reckon. A lowly line soldier could not expect to own such a garment. Clothing was expensive enough without being that intricate.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I now see the finds, thank you for the sources. But how did they protect these? They surely damage, when you sit.
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
Soldiers were not paid for sitting around!!
:twisted: sorry for the OT
Als Mensch zu dumm, als Schwein zu kleine Ohren...

Jürgen Graßler

www.schorsch-der-schmied.de
www.facebook.com/pages/AG-Historisches-Handwerk/203702642993872
Quote:It would be astonishingly expensive to have the clavi and orbiculi woven in in a tapestry manner, I'd reckon. A lowly line soldier could not expect to own such a garment. Clothing was expensive enough without being that intricate.
I think such clothing was a lot less expensive than it is today. Much of it was used again and again, being sen on new garments. Lowly soldiers were time and again paid in kind intead of in coin, maybe that's how they got nice clothing?

Quote:I now see the finds, thank you for the sources. But how did they protect these? They surely damage, when you sit.
Perhaps it damages less than you think? Like I mentioned before, clavi also ran across the back, they would in your opinion also be prone to damaging? yet they continue as part of the fasion for centuries. Orbiculi were reused, perhaps they dmage less fast than expected?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:I think such clothing was a lot less expensive than it is today.
On a relative scale, maybe you're right. But tapestry weaving, and some of the very intricate designs I've seen on some orbiculi, are still not the same thing. To weave the designs into a tunic fabric at the original would be considerably more expensive than embroidering which is no quick work, either. I'm not sure that tapestry weaving really lends itself to tunic manufacture. I'm quite willing to be wrong.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Thank you, A lot of god thinking. :cheer:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Orbiculi? Carlton Bach 2 1,280 04-14-2005, 06:56 AM
Last Post: aitor iriarte