Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to make orbiculi.
:unsure:
I am treving to make a soft kid for a 5 century soldiers. Just a simpel! tunik and trousers. But all that I can find is wirly nice dokoratet with calvi and Orbiculi. How do I make a simpel orbiculi?

I am not fanzy about going for a swastika, but something like that, enny idea?

Is here some hu had traid to make one orbiculi?
Why not just start with simple plain squares?
ALA I BATAVORUM
Embroidery is the way to go. If you are going for the minimum, then just cut out colored ovals, roundels, or eight-pointed stars, and the clavi. That's a good way to start it.
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
Whatever you make, though, you'll need not less than 4 of them.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Whatever you make, though, you'll need not less than 4 of them.
You mean six?

As you can see here, squares and stars are easy:
http://www.fectio.org.uk/shows/2004delft9.jpg
http://www.fectio.org.uk/shows/2004delft11.jpg
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Robert: what do you mean by six? Two for the shoulders, two for the front lower end...two more where?

(I have a hunch, you are referring to two more on the back lower end.)
I have the same hunch, Mark. I was thinking that the absolute minimum would be two in the front bottom, two in the back. The shoulders would make six, of course. If done by hand, it's a considerable number of stitches. One would begin to think, "Now why did I start this project, lo, those many years ago" long before it was completed.
Smile
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
But what is the evidence for the backside orbiculi? I only now one piazza armerina figure.

Furthermore, a tapestry woven will get destroyed on your bum in no time, whilst you are sitting. It is not really practical.
Usually, the hem of a Late Roman tunic is much lower, and wouldn't be subjected to the same abrasion as an earlier Imperial tunic. Most art is not depicting the back of the soldier, so the front is what we usually see. However, there have been found a couple of tunicae from Egypt, iirc, that show the back and front to be essentially identical.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Then we may have reached a 1% share for them within the archaeological evidence.

I do not oppose the use of 6 orbiculi/segmenta/anything on a tunic, but I'm rather repulsed by the idea, that this is a common thing. I don't want to sound rude, offence is not my intention. Simply from a practical point of view (not even considering the sheer majority of the 4-type tunics in archaeological and representational aspects), you just don't want to put something delicate and precious onto one of the most used part of your clothing. (Also, you don't want an portrait of the ruling monarch on your bum, it's bad for your health Tongue )

BTW, you can see several tunic backsides on the piazza armerina, and only one has that backside orbiculi. That's the guy next to the swastika-ornamented man, and maybe another one holding an ostrich, but that's more debatable, than the former.
Indeed guys, 2 at the back.

Mark, sorry about thje confusion, but hey it's fashion. Fashion is not, never has been, never will be, logical or practical. I just think the Romans liked to look good.

As to impractical, think of the clavi. They run down the back too, always did, and in fact that area is even more prone to damage. But there you are. Tunics were symmetrically decorated.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Orbiculi are probably more durable than ostriches. :grin: :woot: :woot:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

"Practical" from our perspective doesn't really seem to be the same "practical" from the Roman perspective. As Matt Amt rightly said, "These are people who put brass hinges in leather straps...."
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:As to impractical, think of the clavi. They run down the back too, always did, and in fact that area is even more prone to damage. But there you are. Tunics were symmetrically decorated.

Maybe Lead pipes caused mass OCD in the Roman population? Tongue
I'm sorry, but this just won't fit in my knowledge: apart from the two piazza figures and a few coptic tunics, do we have evidence, that backside orbiculi decoration was widely used?

I've had the joy of witnessing a tapestry woven ornament destroyed by sitting on a rough piece of wood. Tapestry weaving is really hard, and it doesn't really matter, if romans had a lot of time for this or not. This is a hell of a job to do, they won't treat it like an ordinary embroidery or a plain cloth. You can't just sit on these things.
Quote:But what is the evidence for the backside orbiculi?

Every single complete coptic tunic in the Petrie collections of the V&A and the Manchester Museums and Galleries has Orbiculi on the front and the back of the garment

That's at least 25 of them in that collection alone. That should be enough evidence for you
Claire Marshall

General Layabout

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plateau-imprints.co.uk">www.plateau-imprints.co.uk

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Orbiculi? Carlton Bach 2 1,280 04-14-2005, 06:56 AM
Last Post: aitor iriarte