Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Height of ancient walls?
Quote:Ahh, thanks. A local 'expert' said the walls were only original to the first 4 feet or so!
Thought it was dubious.. ;-)

I recall being told that by the local "expert" tour guide as well, although you can clearly see in a lot of places the demarcation of where different building materials/techniques were used.

Re: the height of the walls of Roma, I remember reading somewhere that the Auerelian walls were originally 30 ft or so, but where later doubled in height. The source escapes me at the moment.
There are some who call me ......... Tim?
A sixty foot wall is ladder-proof. :!:

But the more weight of rocks that's added, the more subject to collapse such a wall would be to undermining...something all the Ancients were well acquainted with. That could only work if other seige techniques were being simultaneously used, though. They wouldn't just let you dig a trench up to the wall, singing Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho.
Smile :grin: Cool
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
It would make it more vulnerable, depending on how thick the walls were.
In our day and theirs, gravity is pretty relentless.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Although i've heard of some pretty beastly foundations made for those walls as well. Need to find the source.
The walls around Mycenae are up to 12.5m tall today but would have been higher when first built.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
The Lion Gate.
[attachment=6924]67467_447840047131_3304644_n.jpg[/attachment]

A view across the Royal Apartments. Fantastic 'room with a view'
[attachment=6925]77078_447841487131_4405619_n.jpg[/attachment]

Indeed, just the size of the remaining cyclopean stonework around the gates makes is appear there must have been more up top!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Height of Ancient Peoples? Paullus 13 6,338 01-24-2005, 06:24 AM
Last Post: Anonymous