Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Shield from Didymoi fort ( Egypt) - III AD
The small Roman fort Didymoi (praesidia) in Upper Egypt, guarding the trade route to the Red Sea, has delivered many remains in a state of exceptional conservation shoes, fragment of cloth, a very beautiful piece of painted leather shield was discovered, representing two gazelle. This piece of leather is dated III century.

[Image: praesidia3.png]

For more information on the excavation of praesidia Eastern Desert (2002 to 2012): see the web site of french IFAO :
http://www.ifao.egnet.net/archeologie/praesidia/
I wonder if it corresponds with any of the patterns in the ND, cause I think there were 1 or 2 patterns that depicted deer/gazelle/things.
MMFA: there is at least a hundred, possibly 150 years gap between this shield, and the NotDig. Tha document also almost exclusively features geometric patterns. Non-geometric shield decoratings (ie. pictures) play a way lesser role in the times directly preceding the creation of the NotDig.
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
Was this from a curved oblong or oval scutum?
Thanks for this link, it certainly shows that perhaps the soldiers on the frontiers had more to do than harassing the natives!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I would say it was a curved oblong, based on the squares as decoration.
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
The picture is painted on parchment (not leather) and supposedly a piece of a shield, but there is no indication in the text on what basis this rests. Could it be something entirely different, like a decorative pannel? As far as I can make out, it was not found in a context with other clearly militairy articles such as swords, arrow- and/or spearheads, etc.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Thanks for your interest. The archeologist H. Cuvignuy dont know what kind of shield it was.

In in new book "Didymoi : A Roman garrison in the Eastern Desert of Egypt, Volume 1: Excavations and equipment - 09/2012 (see : http://astore.amazon.fr/civilisantiqu-21...2724705823), she explains the reasons why, after careful consideration, the lead suggests, according to
the most probable hypothesis that it is a fragment of painted leather covering a shield. Among the reasons, the inner face has indeed traces of flax fibers and wood.

In the third century, the fort was still occupied Didymoy mostly by military detachment, as evidenced in particular, in addition to military objects, thousands of ostracae discovered correspondence and military archives.

The south borders of the empire , a few civilians could still be in the forts, according to these same ostracae: merchants, prostitutes ...
Quote:I would say it was a curved oblong, based on the squares as decoration.

Thanks, yes that is what I was thinking!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intact Roman vexillum from Egypt DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS 36 10,114 03-10-2014, 08:57 PM
Last Post: Titvs Statilivs Castvs
  Roman army in Egypt germanslinger37 6 2,558 02-04-2009, 04:35 AM
Last Post: germanslinger37
  Roman soldiers in Egypt Marcus Mummius 9 2,607 12-07-2006, 04:51 PM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius