Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let\'s build a fort...
Hello everyone,<br>
I had an interesting idea the other day and wanted to run it by everyone to see their reaction. This is primarily for the<br>
re-enactors in the USA and Canada, but if anyone else is interested I'm sure they'd be more than welcome to participate. What my idea is, is to form an organization of Roman re-enactors, fund it through dues, donations, etc, purchase some centrally located land and construct a Roman fort for our use. The type of fort, location of it etc. is something we'd have to talk about, but just think of the possibilities! Especially if large groups of us met for at least an annual event.<br>
While I've always respected the many different groups around the world, and understand why they would choose to<br>
re-enact different legions, perhaps we could create a single legion for this project, and each group would portray it's cohorts. Think about it, if we actually did this, we could field a very impressive number of legionaires!<br>
Now, I know my idea won't be that well recieved by some, and perhaps will actually anger others, but let's discuss this idea and see if it has any merit, before we just dismiss it.<br>
What do the rest of you think?<br>
<p>John Gross<br>
Legio II AVG<br>
Oregon, USA</p><i></i>
John Gross
Caius Fabius is building one.. Lafe Event in AK.. happened a few weeks ago.. can't get much more central US than that.<br>
<br>
Leg IX has some land set aside for a temporary marching camp, now that the environmentalists have been satisfied and we're also building a demo section of marching camp at an event in July in Los Angeles.. come on down and lend us a hand!<br>
<br>
Its a start...<br>
<br>
Hibernicus <p></p><i></i>
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Quote:</em></strong><hr>happened a few weeks ago<hr><br>
Any pix on the web? <p></p><i></i>
** Vincula/Lucy **
Hi Hibernicus,<br>
I'd be glad to lend you a hand, I did enough diggin in the army! Anyway, I'll be down in California more for business in the near future so I'll jsut drive a little further South to see you guys and lend a hand.<br>
<p>John Gross<br>
Legio II AVG<br>
Oregon, USA</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=jlg3>jlg3</A> at: 5/12/04 9:25 pm<br></i>
John Gross
I am Not building the fort! I am lucky enough to get to play there! The Fort is being built in Lafe, Arkansas. The LEGIO II AUGUSTUS is the builder, and owner of the land. There are some photos at: photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ROMANISROMANORVM/lst<br>
<br>
<p>"Just before class started, I looked in the big book where all the world's history is written, and it said...." Neil J. Hackett, PhD ancient history, professor OSU, 1987</p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Awesome stuff Caius.<br>
<br>
2 questions....when do you plan on doing the ditch and ramparts?<br>
<br>
And I noticed in the one picture entitled "Tent line...", the 2nd last tent on the end...I believe it has a vexillum in front of it. Is this one that Rusty Myers is selling? It looks like a roman tent, but in canvas. <p>Magnus/Matt<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix"<br>
Niagara Falls, Canada</p><i></i>
I don't know where they got the tents, they all look like Civil War tents to me. The Ditches are on the OUTSIDE of the fort! The ditch and rampart looks much better from the outside. The wooden walls and towers will take a bunch more money and manpower.<br>
I would like to sponsor a fundraiser, to help support their constructions. Any suggestions?<br>
They have several flats of roof tile that were donated, so they are working on the barracks first, so that people will have sleeping space if they travel to the site.<br>
They also have a toilet and hot shower, (outside the fort), which were also a higher priority in construction. They are looking at two or three styles of gatehouse, trying to pick the one that looks most like a quickly built Roman fort in AD 43. I think it will probably end up looking something like a milefort on Hadrian's Wall, but still, we don't have that many Roman forts on this side of the "pond". They also have 80+ acres of area for tactical events and have built a rudimentary Briton village. I plan to have more photos posted later.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Hmm forgot to post pics of the tent beyond the line drawing... Wil take care of that. I know Hib has some pics of the Panther tents on his site, and I think he is the one who prodded Panther into making them, so he gets the credit there! They are nice and heacy duty, we have 3 and will have more for this year's Castro Romani in November.<br>
<br>
Rusty <p>Rusty Myers<br>
www.SouloftheWarrior.com Commander, Legio VI FFC<br>
www.LEGVI.com </p><i></i>