Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad Copy of \"Dark Ages\"???
I am trying to work my way through "Dark Ages to the Vikings 410 to 1050 (A Concise History of Medieval England and the English)"

I could not find a print copy, so I purchased it via my Nook from Barnes and Noble. I am about two chapters in and I am finding the book painfully confusing and wondering if for some reason the e-conversion didn't work so well. The book seems to lack basic punctuation with numerous run-on sentences, missing periods, commas and semicolons.

Can someone tell me if this is a problem with the hard copy as well?
There are some who call me ......... Tim?
I've never heard of this book or it's author but, reading reviews on Amazon, it seems to be something that he (a former newsagent and possible fantasist rather than a historian) has cobbled together himself using a variety of sources. You haven't found a print copy because it's never been properly published.

I'd burn it and get copies of 'After Rome' by Edwards, and 'From the Vikings to the Normans' by Davies, both from the Short Oxford History of the British Isles instead.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Empires and Barbarians by Peter Heather covers the same timespan. C.A. 200 A.D. - 1000 A.D.
Or, indeed, Chris Wickham's "The Inheritance of Rome" which is quite a bit better and contains a lot of interesting, and necessary, bits on historiography of the time period (ca 400-1000ad I think) itself.
Jass
There are many to choose from. I recommended the two that I did because:-
a) They're 'traditional' histories without the revisionist agendas of some other recent works and
b) They concentrate on Britain, which seemed to be what Tim was looking for.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]