Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sarmatiana: A List of References, Old & New
Hi, I was going through some old PDFs which I forgot to rename but one I found is "Iranians and Greeks in Southern Russia" by Michael Rostovtzeff see link below to download PDF or read online.
http://archive.org/details/cu31924028575060
It is in English and has a few images that might interest some members.
I shall post one below which was a wall painting found in Greek Bosporus dated either 1st-2nd Century AD.
Just an extra note on above book. It was written in 1922 and in the forward the author was very apologetic about writing the book from England and how he left most of his material, photos, drawings and work in Soviet Russia (must have been an emigre) and he was not able to contact former colleagues to confer with so most drawings were done by memory or taken off current publications of the time.
[attachment=6814]kerchwallpainting.jpg[/attachment]
Courtesy of the Bodleian Library:

The pic below was a painting done in late 18th Century by Geissler of a nomadic camp caption says Travels Through The Southern Provinces of the Russian Empire in the Years 1793-1794. I know its not ancient but shows that nomadic life was still prevalent in some areas of Ukraine. It was on the cover of "A History of Russia, Central Asia and Mongolia Volume 1 (Inner Eurasia from Prehistory to the Mongol Empire) by David Christian

[attachment=6815]historycover.jpg[/attachment]

Regards
Michael Kerr

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"

Messages In This Thread
Sarmatiana: A List of References, Old & New - by Michael Kerr - 03-27-2013, 10:32 AM