Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sarmatiana: A List of References, Old & New
back to Michael,

Ahh! Ms. Bradshaw got it 180 degrees out! Thanks for the sources, although they are Britain-based novels and paint the Iazyges and Roxolani in diametric extremes.

There has never been a full study on Iaz customs, and I base my conclusions on Janos Harmatta. Somehow, when putting together the original post, I missed this important author.

[attachment=6782]harmattajanos.jpg[/attachment]

Harmatta, who died in 2004, was a Hungarian, a brilliant linguist. He wrote two immportant books, A History of Civilizations in Central Asia, and Studies on the Sarmatian Language (1970). Both histories had an English version, but they are almost impossible to find. I made a print-out of Sarmatian Language years ago, but it's buried somewhere in my mess. :whistle:

[attachment=6783]pic01_146x300.jpg[/attachment]

Well, anyway, Harmatta gives us valuable info on the Roxolani and Iazyges, even though he was not an archaologist. Notably, he had access to information (from earlier Hungarian studies) on the burial practices of these two tribes when they reached the Great Hungarian Plain.

Some modern authors seem to "get it right," while others? :dizzy:
A case in point might be A History of Central Asia: The Age of the Steppe Warriors, published in 2012 by Christoph Baumer. I can't condemn the book because I haven't read it, there are no reviews of it on Amazon, BUT Baumer gives us 9 pages on the "ice burials in the Altai." That's really cutting an important area and culture to the quick. Also, while Baumer writes about the Scythians, he doesn't mention the Saka. I'm suspect of this sort of writing and mentality, which so often links two very distinct cultures into a singular one. :-( If anyone should have this book, we could use an overview.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Messages In This Thread
Sarmatiana: A List of References, Old & New - by Alanus - 03-23-2013, 09:42 PM