Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sarmatiana: A List of References, Old & New
Sorry the weather is worsening and I'm running around like a maniac trying to get everything done before Easter lethargy ruins everything, I sort of assumed/hoped that Bryant was decipherable. Pretty phenomenal work in both cases, the latter an edited volume with some decent stuff. I agree with you that Mallory is brilliant, perfectly affable chap too, I like his overall work though I disagree with his conclusions. Still, he's one of the few sane voices. I don't really rate a lot of the Russian work, its just as bad as some of the earlier German work in this area... I play it safe by not really having an opinion since the overall quality of scholarship is poor.

Gamkrelidze is sometimes maligned but out of the various works its the most sensible in philological terms except for the obviously dated bits.

"There's a recent wrench in the works, positing the Indians (Indo-Aryans) with no genetic relationship to the Indo-Iranians. "

Really? not seen that one, certainly goes against the bulk of stuff I've seen both more generally and as part of a project mapping Mycenaeans. I'll ask some of my colleagues in the area. I agree with you on language spread in general btw which is why we have so many wonderful models.

Again, thanks for the thread, especially because it deals with a people several centuries more modern than what I usually work with.

EDIT: Also, is it worth us linking in review articles of some of these books? I'm not sure how many are behind paywalls via JSTOR, Wiley and other services, but still?
Jass

Messages In This Thread
Sarmatiana: A List of References, Old & New - by Lyceum - 03-22-2013, 10:08 PM