Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Footwear and Families at Vindolanda
Of some interest:

http://www.pasthorizonspr.com/index.php/...n-military
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Looks like a Dave Marsden "boot"
Kevin
Kevin
During my visit to Vindolanda, Chesters, and Housesteads a few years ago, my exposure to "footwear and families" unfortunately consisted of looking aghast as parents allowed their children to climb over and jump on the remaining ruins with their sneakers.
There are some who call me ......... Tim?
Hello, Moi

I knew about the children's shoes at Vindolana, but never had a clue of how class-conscious the inhabitants were. This is a very interesting article. It reminds me of Pulio and What's-His-Face in the TV series Rome. That series certainly got its criticisims (just like historical novelists are receiving on another thread), but these two "low-class" guys made the show. Confusedmile:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did patrician families of Rome used something similar to crests? Corvus 2 1,508 07-10-2018, 06:42 AM
Last Post: Corvus
  Descendants of roman patrician families dengland 39 11,876 06-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest