Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
germanic sword and scabbard
No, in S37 that is a bit wasted effort in my opinion. Also, Romans and Celts did not have temperature controled ovens for heat treatment :wink: I relieved the tension of the forging in the fire, bringing it up to cherry red, destressing it.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
well, S37 can be carburised Wink
you don`t need an oven for the heat treating of long blades. It can all be done in a (quite long) fire, but this needs some practise. Or in a simple longish oven built of clay. I remember a nice video on youtube showing the traditional heat treating of a katana in such an oven.
Nevertheless, a very nice weapon Smile
Als Mensch zu dumm, als Schwein zu kleine Ohren...

Jürgen Graßler

www.schorsch-der-schmied.de
www.facebook.com/pages/AG-Historisches-Handwerk/203702642993872
link found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4A2JJmWi6Y

I have to correct me: it`s not an oven, but a simple forging fire in the vid

Jürgen Graßler

Thanks for the clip - that's really interesting!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
In the slow-motion, notice how the sword on being quenched takes on a curve reverse to the initial curvature. That is the most spectacular part and why I think it meets so much interest. It takes tremendous knowledge of how the steel will react when initialy making that blade. This is not heat treatment as XorX commented about, by the way.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Yes - it's fascinating.

I read it that XorX was referring to the style of fire seen in the clip before the blade is quenched as the type which could be used for heat treatment?
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
that is exactly what I meant :wink: : it`s the first step in the heat treating process, hardening the blade. As can be seen in the vid, the blade is heated up in a "normal" forge fire and then quenched in water. The following step, tempering, can also be done with the fire (or using a massive hot block of steel or copper).
All other modern types of "heat treating" (all the heating steps against the tensions of the forging process etc.; I think that is what you meant, Robert) have not been discovered and identified as special phenomenons before the end of the 19th century.

Bytheway: the "bending" shown in the vid in the quenching scene is the reason why it`s so difficult to make straight long single-edged blades

Jürgen Graßler

A very nice Germanic single edged sword!
The sword looks more mid 1 century BC to me.
Jasper Cobelens
Actualy, this type of sword was around for quite some time. At Vimose, quite a few have been deposited in the second century AD.

[attachment=6770]07190561.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Robert, I am aware that the Germanic Single edged sword existed for quite some time.
All swords of the Hjortspring bog (350 BC) find are single edged but they differ a lot from those swords of the LPRIA and ERIA.

The sword that you have created looks a lot like a "Adler SIa" type of sword.
Those single edged blades are from the 1 century BC.

Jasper Cobelens
Robert, I am aware that the Germanic Single edged sword existed for quite some time.
All swords of the Hjortspring bog (350 BC) find are single edged but they differ a lot from those swords of the LPRIA and ERIA.

The sword that you have created looks a lot like a "Adler SIa" type of sword.
Those single edged blades are from the 1 century BC.
Jasper Cobelens
Hi Jasper,

Only if you base your assumption on the shape of the grip. You can see the blade is totaly different in shape. The grip was modeled this way due to a very interesting discussion on the MyArmoury forum, where the griptype of these swords was discussed. One of the posters kindly provided this drawing who the grips would have looked on swords with different types of tangs:

[attachment=6781]gripsuggestionx_245.jpg[/attachment]

The blade and the riviting patteren in the grip is based on Vimose and would conform more closely to
SIc2. You can see the riviting pattern on that particular blade here (right side):

[attachment=6780]p1030102_128.jpg[/attachment]

I would very much appreciate if you could send me more data on those single edged swords, as I quite like making them and will surely be doing more in the future. Please PM me your email adres so I can contact you directly, if you are willing to share that knowledge :wink:

Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
A fine piece of work Robert, they is something quite nice about Germanic single edge knifes and swords. They feel very nice in the hand excellent tool Big Grin Big Grin
Regards Brennivs :lol:
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Robert,

I forgot to respond on your comment in this thread.
You are right, I was a bit fixated on the hilt of this weapon.
Its interesting that you choose the "falcata" style sword grip for this weapon.
I thought the grip would follow the metal hilt of those Vimose blades in shape.

Regarding Germanic Single edged swords.
I am looking forward at seeing more of those weapons made by you on this forum!
Jasper Cobelens
Well, in the MyArmoury thread, a good case was made to extrapolate "falcata-style" hilts found on swords of the same period and bladeshape to those with a different tang. The sense of that really hits home when you handle one of these hilts. The small rise at the back has a function in keeping the blade in line during a cut, as it rests against the mouse of the hand, the small projections on either side give you a very solid grip. In this case, feeling is believing :wink:
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,705 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  How to - My new bone handled sword and scabbard Crispvs 40 12,154 11-11-2013, 11:40 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Re: Scabbard to sword Titus Marius Secundus 1 1,024 09-24-2011, 10:32 PM
Last Post: Virilis