Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Societas Equitum Romanorum
After a long time of research and development I'm proud to present Societas Equitum Romanorum, a Roman cavalry group based in The Netherlands.
With this group we have the intention of interactively depicting the history of the Roman cavalry in the Netherlands.

The main representation that has been chosen is the Ala Afrorum Veterana, a unit that was founded in Africa Proconsularis and in the first half of the 1st

century AD moved to Europe to Moesia and Burginatum.
As a secondary representation we have chosen for the Speculatores and the Equites Singulares, the emperors mounted bodyguards.

The group takes the time needed to achieve the highest possible quality of reconstructions.
The collecting and making of all the necessary materials takes a lot of time and in
addition, it is important to get a lot of experience and to train the horses in the best way
possible so we can give shows and presentations in the safest and best way. Therefore, the
group is not yet active for events.

When the very extensive list of materials is complete, an active training period with the equipment on horsesback will follow. Only when riders and horses

are well trained and attuned, the group can be presented in a safe way both for the general public and for the rider as for the horses.

www.romeinsecavalerie.nl

G·MAR·SCIPIO·MIL·OPT·COH·XV·VOL·C·R
Good luck, Sander. Doing a cavalry impression is a lot of hard work, but certainly worth all the effort! Succces.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Delighted to hear about the formation of your group and the approach you are taking.

I have been reviewing saddle design for two years now, as well as bits and other horse equipment, so I would be very interested in aspects of your research and representation.

I am still trying to find the right horse to replace my mare (left one in my avatar) which is proving a challenge, but I will use her for more "static" events and hope to do my first one in Sep/Oct this year. (She is 32 years old and cannot be ridden although she'll be fine as a model!)

Best of luck to you.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I already saw your announcement on Facebook and immediately checked out your website. I wish you good luck with your impression and hope to see sooner or later some pictures of you and your comrades.
@ Vindex, just recently i talked with my collegea the archeologist of Maastricht who saw a programm on tv on "pottok, the bask horse "from south France and North Spain ETA country. These were already known in Roman times. Maybe just a replacement for you mare ?? Wink
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
Quote:@ Vindex, just recently i talked with my collegea the archeologist of Maastricht who saw a programm on tv on "pottok, the bask horse "from south France and North Spain ETA country. These were already known in Roman times. Maybe just a replacement for you mare ?? Wink

Strange you should mention this!! (and thank you for your information) I am very much of the mind that due to the temperament, conformation (how the horse is put together) and depictions of the majority of ridden horses on stele etc, the area you describe produced a very hardy, up to weight versatile horse. Although Pura Raza Espangol (PRE or Andalusian) and , in some degree the Portugese Lusitano are the closest in breed type, I have been looking at these rarer breeds.

I am also of the opinion that the criollo horse (now only found in South America, but imported from Spain with the Conquistadores) which also has similar character traits and build to old PRE types ie small but incredibly strong, agile and, more importantly, brave without being stupid! The horse I'm sitting on in my avatar was a Chilean criollo and although you can see he was quite small, he felt like a much bigger horse to ride. Far more substance than an arab and just as hardy, although rarely over 15.2hh
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cohors II Italica Civium Romanorum arklore70 0 1,499 06-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Last Post: arklore70
  Cohors II Italica Civium Romanorum Re established arklore70 8 2,903 05-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Last Post: arklore70