Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Happy Ides of March
A toast of best Italian red drunk from a Samian cup in memory of Brutus and Cassius and the vestiges of the Republic!

(Sorry, Byron ;-) )
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Ditto, although i may be comemerating them with somewhat stronger than your claret Moi.
I allways "liked" Brutus and think the whole story is still untold, i think he had a hard time just like Marc Anthony.
Kevin
Cheers anyway... :woot:
Kevin
I quite agree...especially the Mark Antony bit (boo, hiss to Octavian says I!)

Down the hatch!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
For the founder of our legion I find a "happy" ides a bit harsh. :-P So you mean you did not wear black all day? :-o

Wink
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
The defenders of oligarchy and aristocratic privilege may celebrate, but I mourn on this dies ater.
Jason

Nil igitur mors est ad nos neque pertinet hilum,
quandoquidem natura animi mortalis habetur.
My assassination was more brutal. A sword through the chest and 100 stab wounds.
I had completely forgotten that, "the ides of March are upon us". Are you buying a round of drinks Vindex?
Manius Acilius Italicus
[Image: 72358_10200147453182758_834309259_n.jpg]
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Quote:I quite agree...especially the Mark Antony bit (boo, hiss to Octavian says I!)

Down the hatch!

I agree! Antony should have dispatched that sickly runt when he had the chance! Perhaps agreeable terms could have been worked out with the conspirators and a reformed republic could have returned. At least Antony won the war of genetics!
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Talking about the Ides of March, I saw this rather amusing knife holder making the rounds yesterday.

[Image: 6804766_700b_v1.jpg]
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
If I only knew where to get this!!
Als Mensch zu dumm, als Schwein zu kleine Ohren...

Jürgen Graßler

www.schorsch-der-schmied.de
www.facebook.com/pages/AG-Historisches-Handwerk/203702642993872
It's photoshopped, so best carve your own. It will come out looking a bit different, though, as there is no place for the actual length kitchen knives to go.
Dictators working their way into power using democratic means and then changing the rules are of all times, so we can today still have a proper "stabbing fest" in many regions of the globe.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Indeed, since the Classics aren't bringing me net 1 million per annum I'm certainly a pleb and on the side of the masses here. Sad
Jass
Quote:Talking about the Ides of March, I saw this rather amusing knife holder making the rounds yesterday.

That's absolutely GREAT! I want one, too. :woot:

To Moi,

In The Demon's Door Bolt, Julius Caesar arrives from the Third Level of Hell to lead Daemon's troops against the good guys. Then on the Ides of March, I had Attila (Second Level Praefect) scrounge up Casca, Cimber, and Cassius, each stabbing Caesar three times. To complete the job, Attila stabs him three more times with his Sword of Power and becomes the new leader of Daemon's army.

That was my eulegy to Caesar. :whistle:

With you, I raise a glass of Valpollicella Superiore. ;-)
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Ides of March! Matthew Amt 9 1,843 04-06-2011, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Titius_VI_Legion