Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caesarean Sword
Cant find any info on this. Obviously I know its a sword but what "historical" weapon is it named and styled after? Any info? http://www.lawrensnest.com/ez-catalog/X385623/21/RR4228
That's a picture of the famous Cesarian sword used by Cleopatra's pysician to deliver her son, Cesarian. :woot: Confusedilly:

This gladius looks rather "generic." Maybe someone else who knows tons about gladii (or gladiolas) can identifiy it as a Mainz, or Pompaei, which I don't think it is.
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
That's not based off anything, I dare call it a "Trooper Blade". It's like the bastard child of a gladius and spatha.

If a sword is based on something accurate, it doesn't need catchy names that the public will immediately identify as Roman, to sell
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
I think it's supposed to be based on the Delos blade and scabbard.

~Theo
Jaime
It's a gladius hispaniensis, so a Republican type. Looks good, to be honest. The grip's nice and of the right type for the period, and was in use even on the Mainz type before the ridged grip became the norm. The pommel and guard are probably based on sculptural references, which is no crime as even the more expensive makers do the same.

Here's Armae's description, who know their stuff:

Quote:In use among the soldiers of the Roman Republic to the Third I f AD, this type of sword was originally borrowed from the Spaniards, because of the proven quality of their blade. It differs from Imperial models (Mainz and Pompeii) by its greater length, indicating a different technique fencing. No Republican sword was found complete, our reproduction is inspired by several archaeological discoveries: the blade is very characteristic copied finds Šmihel (Slovenia), Osuna (Spain), or Mouriès (France), sheath comes from Delos (Greece), although the toppings were originally iron. The handle is very classic, but note the rocket carved spiral, as was the custom in the Republic. Pommel and guard are inspired by the rectangular altar Ahenobarbus at the Louvre.

The scabbard is wood covered with leather natural color, to be easily dyed. Composite handle imitating ivory. 84cm long, 66cm blade.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Well, There! Thanks, Theo and Tarbicus

It's been identified. Perhaps (as Theo called it), the sword was also known as a Delos Blade.
What do I know about those Roman thingies? I tote a Type 1 Sarmatian jobbie. :dizzy:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
For an Indian blade this one is pretty up to the task! It is called a Caesarian sword, as it can be dated to the 'Ceasarian' period, e.g. 1st century BC. Nothing wrong with that name.

(it thereby fall into the class of the 'gladius hispaniensis')
ALA I BATAVORUM
Yes, Jim is quite right! Re-enactors developed a typology which varied between Mainz and Pompeii type gladiuses and it is completely outdated. In fact some Deepeeka gladiuses we used to laugh at (various re-enactment guides telling to "avoid these at all costs") were surprisingly quite accurate in the end! The ideal types (like Pompeii and Mainz gladiuses) are in fact quite rare. In my opinion Christian Miks's "magnum opus" on roman swords clearly shows this.
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
I figure that, whatever your gladius looks like, eventually somebody will find one that looks like it. That's why I stick with my old Del Tin Pompeii, despite that little triangular "ricasso" area. I figure that someday somebody will dig up one with that feature and mine will become authentic ex post facto (which is a good Latin term).
Pecunia non olet
Quote:I figure that, whatever your gladius looks like, eventually somebody will find one that looks like it. That's why I stick with my old Del Tin Pompeii, despite that little triangular "ricasso" area. I figure that someday somebody will dig up one with that feature and mine will become authentic ex post facto (which is a good Latin term).

John, in fact there is one sword in Miks's book which has a slight ricasso if I remember correctly Wink.
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wishing to put together Caesarean impression Enigma 0 255 04-19-2021, 01:48 AM
Last Post: Enigma