Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forging while in the oven
reading this, i can only try to imagine the Roman troops at Masada....<br>
Standing there in an open furnace with your full battle-armour with people trying to kill you..<br>
<br>
Or imagine the knights during the crusades. No wonder the Saracens had there armour UNDER their clothes and not on top of them. <p>Professionals built the Titanic, amateurs built the ark<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
<br>
Keeping the scutum over the head could be a solution (even if just with a classic I-III century legionary shields, because the auxiliares ones and the early republican or late Empire shields could be not so handy) but I'm tempted to guess that during the march in full kit under a killer sun, the real roman soldiers could protect themselves with something like a light canvas hold by mean of four staffs to cover at least a contubernium. The staffs holding the canvas could be held for long period as done with the signa or the eagle by four men.<br>
After all roman women used umbrellas and in the amphitheatres was used the velarium, so why cauld not the practical roman Army use a similar expedient to keep its men fresh and ready to fight? Or something like those little umbrellas to put directly on the head, they could be mounted on the helmets...<br>
<br>
Imagine the roman soldiers marching under little colorful umbrellas...<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Titus<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Hahahahaha...it'd be like a gay pride parade in the hot sun with all those perty colours! <p>Magnus/Matt<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix"<br>
Niagara Falls, Canada</p><i></i>
Wee colorful umbrellas affixed to helmets or flamboyant crestas.... what's the difference?<br>
<br>
Besides I've always though that Roman military parades were exceptionally gay affairs.<br>
<br>
Hibernicus<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post