Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with researching Hispanic tribes cirka 200 BC
Hello everyone. As i mentioned in the New recruits thread, im currently working Lusitani or Gaellici clothes. Ive run into a problem, however. I have found numerous illustrations of warriors from this era, but very little actual archeological proof of much of the clothes depicted.

What i figured i would make is a woolen tunic and a woolen cloak for the basic clothes. Ive seen some statues depicting tunics, and im sure cloaks arent a shot in the dark. I dont know what color i will use, but i am sure brown and green dies would have been available.
does anyone know of any sources describing any headwear?
I know of many examples of iberian helmets and ive seen a few personally. Unfortunatly buying a metal helmet is outside of my current budget, being a student and having no real income. I would not mind making a helmet out of leather, however. Does anyone know where this illustration and this reconstruction gets their designs from, and if such helmets would be avaiable in the northwest of Hispania.
thank you, and sorry about the English.
Lets take a look at a pair of statues. This statue shows some interesting features. A "Caetra" buckler and a short tunic. I cant tell if there are trousers or not, but i think i can see the figures knees, so im leaning towards it being trouserless. Another interesting feature is that its wearing a Torc.

This statue is very similar, giving us the short tunic and Caetra. Ive seen this statue, and it gives me the impression of having short sleeves, as well, but im uncertain about that. This one as well looks Trouserless.
Boas! I suppose you already know this paper by Fernando Quesada Sanz, but just in case:

http://www.uam.es/proyectosinv/equus/war...uesada.pdf

Not much is known about the clothing and weapons of the Castrexos. I am starting on "researching" about them.
Eduardo Vázquez
Thank you for that, i was not familiar with Senhor Qeusedas writing. Ill read through it, my Castillian isnt the best but my Portuguese will help me.
http://www4.uwm.edu/celtic/ekeltoi/
Great site here plenty on Spain.

Salve,
Marcus
Thank you Marcus! I already knew of the website, but i hadnt read the files and had half forgotten about it when you posted the link.
Now, what ive been reading lately is this:
http://www.academia.edu/2760490/Las_imag..._castrenos
Now, what i find interesting, is the possible interpretation of the belts as having the buckles on the back rather on the front ( see the illustration on page 91).
Also, the images do support the idea of richely decorated tunics, and im considering emproidering them with patterns taken from the statues. Id just like to know youre opinions on this.
Maybe Julio Rodriguez Gonzalez´s La resistencia hispana contra Roma, by Editorial Almena could help you

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I need help with researching Scythian equipment and tactics LordofGoodTaste 1 1,214 02-23-2018, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Alanus