Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Balteus Width
Ok guys,

I should be receiving my gladius in the mail this week. I am going to make a balteus for it, however, I would like to know what width of leather I should use? Also, is there any instructions available on making one as well?

Thanks,
Cheers,

Ralph Young
Clinton, UT
If you look at most Roman belts the width of these are determined by the type and width of the beltplates that were used, therefore when you select what kind of plates your going to use then you have your belt width.

However if you are refering to a Baldric shoulder strap to hang the Sword you need around 10-15mm width for this strap simply fitted to the two upper rings on your scabbard.
Brian Stobbs
The optio in my legion had website which worked great for making your own belt, I will try and email him today and see if I can send you a link.
If you mean a baldric for hanging the gladius from the shoulder, around 2cm should do. You might want to decide if you want to decorate the front with disc studs, which would help define the width of the strap.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Baltei (shoulder or waist) width shall not exceed the width of the decoration. Use this as a rule of thumb.

Otherwise it depends on the qualities of your leather. Our late-roman-used leather is quite flexible and weak, our waistbelts even deformed a bit after 2 years of use, and I wouldn't really want to hang our scabbards without pressing them to our body with the waistbelt.
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
Salve

It might make more sense to wait until the sword has arrived, you will then be able to see what width of leather will fit through the suspension rings.

If you are in the UK, then TORM is on this weekend just outside Coventry. You will be able to get leather, either as rough strips or finished belts to make a baldric, and studs from any number of suppliers including our own Peroni at his Armamentaria stand.

Vale

Celer.
Marcus Antonius Celer/Julian Dendy.
I do mean a baldric for the shoulder. I also live in the U.S., so TORM would be a little far to travel, besides, I think the wife would notice I was missing.
Cheers,

Ralph Young
Clinton, UT
Quote:Baltei (shoulder or waist) width shall not exceed the width of the decoration. Use this as a rule of thumb.

Why not?
[Image: inaciem-bandeau.png]
Jori:

Our archaeologist's first and foremost comment about late roman baltei.
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
Quote:Jori:

Our archaeologist's first and foremost comment about late roman baltei.

But aren't we talking about a 'gladius' here, which suggest an earlier period? Furhtermore I'm very interested to hear where he based that statement on. For earlier betsl, I can suggest it simply being untrue.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I would say that there are some who may have a blinkered view on things so it might be better as Celer has said wait until the sword arrives then go from there.
Brian Stobbs
If it helps. Our group portrays life in 63 AD.
Cheers,

Ralph Young
Clinton, UT
Where you mention AD 63 this is in the Neronian period so might it not be better to consider a two belt system for both sword and dagger on waist belts and forget the baldric strap.
Brian Stobbs
Not with a hamata segmentata.
Cheers,

Ralph Young
Clinton, UT