Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re Reenactors with Shield Designs from the Notitia
Quote:Yet you at fectio essentially copied the design of Marcommani Iuniores. Tongue
Personally, I like 'based on' better.. Tongue

New members of the pantheon:

Milites Bingenses

[attachment=7332]bingenses.jpg[/attachment]

Felices

[attachment=7333]venatoresfelices.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Yet you at fectio essentially copied the design of Marcommani Iuniores. Tongue
Personally, I like 'based on' better.. Tongue

New members of the pantheon:

Milites Bingenses

[attachment=7334]bingenses_2013-05-30.jpg[/attachment]

Felices

[attachment=7335]venatoresfelices.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:
Mark George Little post=338466 Wrote:A bit offtopic, but seems right here: do you think there is any chance, I might find shield design for units from Valeria Ripensis, other than the NotDig? Shame, but they are not in them, only listed, but not with a drawn design.
Not a chance I'm afraid. In such cases I always advice groups to use their imagination. We at Fectio sure did. Smile

The problem is, that the Valeria page of the NotDig mentions Auxilia Herculensia, Ursarensia, Fortensia, Insidiatorum. The first three are foot companies, and the designs are found on the page, where they list every single one in a bunch. Is it possible, that the word auxilia here means vexillatio? I think my idea is not far fetched, since Valentinian brought auxiliary forces from the West against quadi and sarmatians in 374/375.
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
Robert.
It is not hard to understand these Tigrian bargemen being at Arbeia when we realise that they did the logistic supply for Hadrian's Wall and the outer forts towards the Scotish boarder.
Indeed there is still one of their dams intact with its pound lock on the river Tyne at Bywell where the Roman Dere Street crossed the Tyne, and also evidence of others further up the North Tyne towards the forts of Habitancum and Breminium.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:I had some ideas for the emblem of I Audiatricis

Evan - it's Adiutricis (as in Adiutrix) Wink

I know this legion are mentioned in the Notitia, but we should be careful in assuming their survival much beyond the early 5th century I think - I Adiutrix was used as an administrative fiction for enrolling bureaucrats into the civil service militiae. It's named in connection to this practice in the Theodosian Code (dated AD444), but also by John Lydus in the 6th century. The real legion had almost certainly disappeared long before.
Nathan Ross
I'm going to represent the Felices Iuniores Galla Placidi Valentinianici

Thinking of Felices, why does that guy have a picture of a wolf on his shield Tongue
Wolves can be happy, too, y'know. :errr:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I was thinking Felis, plural Felices, as in Felis Iubatus and Felices Iubatae (of which will be the emblem of my shield as the Valentinianici)
romans like wolves- just ask Romulus & Remus
Semisalis Abruna of the Batavi iuniores Britanniciani
aka Nick Marshall
Quote:Robert.
It is not hard to understand these Tigrian bargemen being at Arbeia when we realise that they did the logistic supply for Hadrian's Wall and the outer forts towards the Scotish boarder.
Indeed there is still one of their dams intact with its pound lock on the river Tyne at Bywell where the Roman Dere Street crossed the Tyne, and also evidence of others further up the North Tyne towards the forts of Habitancum and Breminium.
I didn't know that, that's interesting.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:The problem is, that the Valeria page of the NotDig mentions Auxilia Herculensia, Ursarensia, Fortensia, Insidiatorum. The first three are foot companies, and the designs are found on the page, where they list every single one in a bunch. Is it possible, that the word auxilia here means vexillatio? I think my idea is not far fetched, since Valentinian brought auxiliary forces from the West against quadi and sarmatians in 374/375.
I don't think so, if they say auxilia they mean auxilia. vexellatio means part of a unit, and it could of course have been a vexillatio of an auxilia unit. But we continue to find old-style infantry and cavalry units named cohort and ala, etc., so I wouldn't worry about a unit named 'auxilia'.
On the other hand, you may be looking at part of a new-style Auxilia Palatina unit?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:Thinking of Felices, why does that guy have a picture of a wolf on his shield Tongue
You're thinking of cats, why the 'cats' have a wolf in their shield design? Because, like David said, it's not derived from Felis but from Felix? The Happy ones.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
I still prefer 'senior cats' over 'senior merrymen' Tongue

As for Adiutricis, I think they were still in Brigetio but were either destroyed in a Hunnic/Amalic raid in the mid-5th century, or maybe destroyed in the Invasion of 452.
Quote: I don't think so, if they say auxilia they mean auxilia. vexellatio means part of a unit, and it could of course have been a vexillatio of an auxilia unit. But we continue to find old-style infantry and cavalry units named cohort and ala, etc., so I wouldn't worry about a unit named 'auxilia'.
On the other hand, you may be looking at part of a new-style Auxilia Palatina unit?

I doubt it. If the Notitia was updated until 425 then any Palantine units would have been recalled to fight the Goths and the invasion of 406 and all the usurpers of that era. If it was updated until 435-442 (I have a theory that it was, I will explain later) then the auxilia palatina units would have either been recalled or paper units (not existing IRL)
Quote:we continue to find old-style infantry and cavalry units named cohort and ala, etc., so I wouldn't worry about a unit named 'auxilia'.

Were the old-style cohorts and alae still called auxilia, or was the term exclusively used for the palatine units? There's a rescript from Diocletian confiming that service in 'a cohort' was still inferior to and paid less than service in a legion, so the old distinction was still in force then. When did it change? When did these 'barbarian' numeri gain the title auxilia palatina anyway?

(sorry, bit of a different question I know!)
Nathan Ross

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shield designs in Armies and Enemies of Imperial Rome Marcus Mummius 6 2,155 03-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Quintis Antonius Felix
  Copyright Shield Designs ? madoc 83 20,121 05-07-2008, 02:47 AM
Last Post: Iace
  Different designs for different shield types? Carlton Bach 1 1,074 03-21-2005, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Andrew Brozyna