Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
caligae
Hi

when did caligae first came into use?

our group is trying to recreate some punic era soldiers and we are wondering about this.

i read in another topic about perones? what are these?

tnx!
Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Legio XI Claudia Pia Fidelis
Reburrus
Cohors VII Raetorum Equitata (subunit of Legio XI CPF)
vzw Legia
Flanders
Carol Murray van Driel in "Stepping through Time" dates the Caligae from the first century BC to approx 90 AD. She sees the Carbatinae, which is a single piece open work construction, as a forerunner to the more complex construction of the caliga, as these later have a lower, middle and upper sole, the middle being the integral part of both the sole and the upper. So the middle piece could be seen as the Carbatina from which the Caligae developed, the Carbatina being reinforced with an extra sole in contact with the ground and an upper sole to shield the foot from the nails driven through the lower and middle sole.

Hope Martin Moser sees this thread, he is GREAT at shoes :-) Perhaps PM him?
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Quote:i read in another topic about perones? what are these?
This topic? They're thought to be traditional farmer's boots, which would make sense given that Roman legionaries were originally a citizen militia mostly made up of farmers and country folk who stopped tending their fields once any old excuse had been found/fabricated/provoked to pronounce that war had been declared against Rome, and returned to their fields once campaign season had finished.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
no actually this topic

http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/25-alli...rrior.html

but the topic you are suggesting looks like an excellent read too.
Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Legio XI Claudia Pia Fidelis
Reburrus
Cohors VII Raetorum Equitata (subunit of Legio XI CPF)
vzw Legia
Flanders
I think Robert summed it up quite nicely. The extremes in terms of actual, dated finds that I am aware of are Augustan (Comacchio ship wreck) to ca. 90 AD (Valkenburg and Castleford). Reliefs show them still in the early 2nd cent. AD.
Looking at how close caligae also are to what we see with some of the Greek shoes, I wouldn't be surprised if they were around in the 1st and 2nd cent. BC in a similar for to the early finds, but we don't really have anything more tangible to support this.