Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Summer Trip to Britain.
Well all, I cleared one hurdle, and it looks like I'll be traveling to Britain with my wife this June, after all. We'll be in country about two months visiting her mother and siblings. I'm starting my list of places that I plan to visit this year including: Chester, Bath & Hadrian's Wall. What other Roman sites are worth seeing, that are easily accessible to public transit? and are towards the northern part of the country?
Cheers,

Ralph Young
Clinton, UT
Quote:Well all, I cleared one hurdle, and it looks like I'll be traveling to Britain with my wife this June, after all. We'll be in country about two months visiting her mother and siblings. I'm starting my list of places that I plan to visit this year including: Chester, Bath & Hadrian's Wall. What other Roman sites are worth seeing, that are easily accessible to public transit? and are towards the northern part of the country?
York is a pretty good example! As well as having a number of standing Roman remains (and exposed ones from the fortress beneath the minster), it's also a really nice touristy town and easily accessible by train from Newcastle.

http://www.historyofyork.org.uk/themes/v...roman-york

I assume you're doing sites on and around Hadrian's Wall as a matter of course, but if not then South Shields (Arbeia), Vindolanda (sorry, bit obvious) and Carlisle are also worth fitting in.
Public transport and the Wall can be a bit of a nuisance! But there's this:

http://www.golakes.co.uk/Carlisle-Hadria...ue=5053235

Wallsend (across the Tyne from Arbeia, on the train link). Wroxeter may be on the cards too if you're doing Bath and Chester. If you keep heading North up the west coast you'll get to Carlisle and the above bus route. To be fair, the bus trip all along the Wall could be good value as long as the weather is clear!!

Corbridge (south of the wall), of Hoard fame of course, and used to have it's own railway station...been a long time since I went to Hexham on the train though! The original tombstone of Flavinus is in Hexham Abbey, which is worth a visit in itself.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:Corbridge (south of the wall), of Hoard fame of course, and used to have it's own railway station
It still has a station, but there is a bit of a walk to the site and not all trains to/from Hexham stop there.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
The trains over here are stupidly expensive Ralph. If you plan on doing that much travelling on public transport, you might as well hire a car for a week or so to access the hard to reach places. The ones like Hadrian wall and some of the more hard to reach places would probably benefit from a car trip. You would also find that if you added up the train tickets you might have bought in that time, the cost of a hire car would probably be less!

Also, when you come to see me to be measured up for kit, I can take you to a few sites around my place, such as Wroxeter Roman city and some of the more obscure sites on the mid Wales Shropshire borders.
Claire Marshall

General Layabout

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plateau-imprints.co.uk">www.plateau-imprints.co.uk
I was about to suggest Chedworth Roman villa (goodness knows how many times I visited/dug there when I was younger...), but that might be a little too South out of your reach, although it'd be good to see the refurbishments they've done.

Housesteads and Binchester Roman fort come to mind, as well as Sedgedunum, which is near Arbeia so within travel range of one of the other places you've mentioned. I do remember there being a Temple of Mithras at Carrawburgh along the wall which is pretty well preserved.
aka Samantha
ROMA ANTIQVA VII CLAUDIA
Glasses in my avatar are so then I\'m not squinting and giving myself a headache. Generally not worn while on site, if I can help it.