Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about first use of Onager (siege engine)
Hi all,

Although I searched many books and quite a lot in net, it seems the only source clearly mentions onager is Ammianus Marcellinus who recorded history of Rome between 96 to 378 AD. Authorities claims this weapon is started to use by Romans since information and skill to use earlier high tech weapons were lost. Thus, it is considered this weapon first used after AD.

However, I found one source. According to Alan Wilkins's book, Roman artillery, onager is first mentioned by Felon in 200 BC in passage on defending a city under siege; "You must try smash through the roofs of the siege-sheds by releasing very large stones from machines and projecting beams, and by shooting from above by one-talent and one-arm stone throwers." Philon, Poliorketika, 91, 33-8

Writer's claim is one-talent is a famous large scale ballista capable of releasing one-talent stones and one-arm is the later called onager. Philon describes how to use them in concert. Yet, this is only source mentioning it until second century AD Apollodorus, emperor Trajan's engineer, gives information about it.

Is there any other source that points out exact date when onager came to scene of siege warfare? Is it probable that Romans used onagers during Punic wars?

Thanks in advance.
posted by Semih Koyuncu

Quote:Is there any other source that points out exact date when onager came to scene of siege warfare? Is it probable that Romans used onagers during Punic wars?
The answer to your first question is "No". And the answer to your second question is "Possibly"!

You may be interested in this paper (if you have access to JSTOR).
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Thanks for short and straight forward answer. I read that excellent paper (as always) long time ago. The question is why onager is neglected while other types of engines are mentioned and described? There are some theories about that the information of machines was important thus kept secret. Even naming of engine is used as a secret code according to them. Personally I disregard this theory since keeping onager information secret while describing others has no meaning.
posted by Semih Koyuncu