Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loculus - Pack Satchel
Oh, excellent responses. Thanks greatly for all the photos. I have just enough leather left to make a satchel 11" tall by 16" across - slightly smaller than Legio XXs, how big are yours? I'll pick up some saddlers rings and see how I get on.<br>
<br>
Has anybody put in a 'bottom' for the satchel (to hold more gear?) or are yours all the classic envelope shape.<br>
<br>
A final question if I may ... why this very flat shape for bulky gear? Is it practical?<br>
<br>
Thanks again! <p></p><i></i>
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
I have one with gussets. inserts along the sides and bottom... but I use that as my Centurio valise...<br>
<br>
12x18 is sort of minimal, anything smaller and you'll be hard up to cram your peronsal kit inside. There's no hard rule about size becasue no one knows<br>
<br>
Some of ours are larger... the size is based on how large the goatskin is... interstingly a flat loculus pattern that makes a 12x18 loculus just about fits perfectly onto a whole goatskin... same reason the papilio sections are about 18x24.<br>
<br>
Hibernicus <p></p><i></i>
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Salvete Omnes,<br>
<br>
A slightly different approach that I have considered (although not yet tried) is to make the loculus as a rectangular bag with the top corners folded in to make the well known envelope shape. This would definitely help with waterproofing the contents which I have found to be a bit of a problem with the usual pattern.<br>
<br>
I should be experimenting with this pattern over the summer, watch this space.<br>
<br>
As for contents, I would have thought keeping things to a bear minimum would be appropriate. Grain/daily rations are definite. The relative benefit of anything else versus it's weight has to be borne in mind. In other words, what can you do without.<br>
<br>
Mummius<br>
<br>
Deva Victrix <p></p><i></i>
Ave,<br>
Everybody's stuff is really looking great. Thanks to Scythius and Hibernicus for the suggestions.<br>
Here's how I made my loculus: 2-3 oz cowhide, (still trying to find a vege tanned goat source), with linen thread. I used the width of the side straps for a little internal gusset space, I punched the holes before stitching. I did all the X strap work before sewing the sides, and kept it each side seam open until it was stitched. I guess my cheat is use of barge cement but it's water proof and a lot easier to sew if it's preglued together. I will replace the lame modern rivets with copper or bronze belt rivets. The ring is obviously from Quiet Press. My only concern is that rain could get in at each end, where the flap is inside the ring strap, but this may be prevented by using Hibernicus internal tie idea. Someday I'll find out I guess (I live in Southern California).I've also just made the carry sack, a deerskin experiment, for the non loculus items. The string bag was crocheted for me by my wife (me efforts at creating a net failing rather sadly). It currently contains a blue glass bottle, which I use to carry extra water.<br>
Since I don't have an image hosting account anywhere, here's a link to the pictures: [url=http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/legiovi/lst?.dir=/loculus+etc&.src=gr&.done=http%3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/legiovi/vwp%3f.dir=/loculus%2betc%26.dnm=pack.jpg%26.src=gr&.view=t" target="top]loculus pictures[/url] <p></p><i></i>
Jared, I wish I could see your pictures! <p></p><i></i>
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Ave Mithras,<br>
<br>
Sorry, I didn't realize you have to be member to view photos. I believe it's open membership, you just have sign in. In the meantime I have created a folder in photos on the Roman Army Yahoo group site, I know most people are on that. Here is the url: groups.yahoo.com/group/RomanArmy/<br>
<br>
I think I will create my owm personal site to start putting my pictures, than I wont have this problem.<br>
<br>
Vale, Quintus<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Ave,<br>
<br>
My photos can be found at www.florentius.com . Go to gallery. I will be working on the site and adding photos of all my gear as time permits.<br>
<br>
Quintus Florentius <p></p><i></i>