Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Sertorii, centurio and aquilifer of legio XI
I recently visited fair Verona which has several military tombstones, particularly in the epigraphic museum. One is the monument of two brothers who were officers in legio XI Claudia Pia Fidelis, the Sertorii. Their tomb complex probably dates to the second half of the first century CE (obviously after Claudius, and I think that that legion was posted to the Danube in the second century).

Quintus Sertorious Festus is CIL 5, 3374. I transcribe the inscription as Q SERTORIUS/L. F POB FESTUS/CENTUR LEG XI CLAUDIAE PIAE/FIDELIS or in English “Quintus Sertorious Festus, Lucius' son, of the tribe Poblilia, centurion of legio XI Claudia Pia Fidelis.”
[Image: 939442cc-1798-422d-b5d1-38ff1c28ad53_zps5c7aa4f9.jpg]

Lucius Sertorius Firmus is CIL 5, 3375. The Clauss-Slaby database transcribes the inscription as L(ucius) Sertorius L(uci) f(ilius) / Pob(lilia) Firmus / signif(er) aquil(ifer) leg(ionis) XI / Claud(iae) Piae Fidelis / missus curat(or) veter(anorum) / leg(ionis) eiusdem / Domitiae L(uci) f(iliae) / Priscae uxori
“Lucius Sertorius, son of Lucius, of the tribe Poblilia, signifer and aquilifer of legio XI Claudia Pia Fidelis, honorably discharged, curator of the veterans of the same legion, (dedicates this monument) to Domitius Lucius' daughter and Prisca his wife.”
[Image: b85a7b62-e05a-4670-a32d-31a99949c27a_zps3e5432bd.jpg]

A third inscription is dedicated to their parents. It is interesting that both set up their stones while alive, since neither is the dedicatee. We might guess that Lucius was the elder, since he received his father's praenomen, the higher office, and the more splendid monument. But with the terrible child mortality in the ancient world, he could just as well have been a later son named after the first Lucius Sertorius died in infancy. The office of curator veteranorum is new to me.

Since I know that many people here like Roman military equipment, I took photos from several angles which you can find in the same folder. I noticed that the staff of the aqula has a polygonal cross-section like an early modern staff weapon.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
I also did a good series of these tombstones when there however mine are rotated to be seen in the correct angle, and I have not noticed until now that they have what looks like lead in the corners of the stone but I don't have the bottom ends to show if it's there also.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brian Stobbs