Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sword Shipping issues
Hello All,

I apologize if this post is in the wrong area. It has to do with reconstructions being shipped. I wanted to send one of my custom made Roman swords to my cousin in Italy as a gift.
However, I was told by UPS, FedEx, and DHL that they will not ship ANY swords even if they are in a sheath and not sharp. I told them it was for a display and non functional. They replied that If I want to send something of this nature anywhere, I have to use regular post. They will not ship anything with a point since its a weapon. This goes for shipping such items to Europe or bringing them in from Europe. I find this hilarious because in the US there are places that sell semi-automatic weapons legally :whistle:

Has anyone else had this problem and how are you getting your items. For instance.....Koenigs swords sent to the US. What does he use?

I asked the Italian airlines if I can bring the sword and they told me it has to go with the main luggage not on board (like I needed to be told this) AND I need a letter from me saying the intent of the sword and have it notarized to make it official. Can anyone believe this nonsense :-x

Cheers
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Paolo.
It may be down to EEC rules and regulations for they are a bit of a pain in the you know where and many of the stupid things they come up with can even be a work stopper here in the UK, and I'm sure even Europe are getting just a bit fed up with all the nonsense that keeps coming out of Brussels.
Brian Stobbs
Pack it yourself and be vague but creative on the customs label. Something like "replica Roman instrument."
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Just refer to it on all documentation as a 'Theatrical Prop'. I've found that gets round most problems.

Travelling back from Marle last week, the French customs at Calais got all excited when I presented myself for a security inspection and insisted that I needed a licence to move the swords, spears and axes out of France. When I told them I didn't have one they called the police.
Police arrived, we had a chat, they admired the weapons and told the customs people off for being so bloody stupid.

A good day.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
I wonder how our Indian friends deal with this, as they ship swords to their vendors and clients all the time using DHL, TNT and the like. It sounds like a real case of bureaucratic humbug! I use regular mail for shipping, fill out the CN22 or CN23 custom form saying "replica Roman sword (or knive of spearhead)", stick that on the outside of the parcel, and so far, things have worked out just fine, even to the US.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Quote: I find this hilarious because in the US there are places that sell semi-automatic weapons legally :whistle:

You can buy fully automatic firearms legally in most of the US.

A little more serious, I do wonder how in gods name things are shipped then. It shouldn't be too hard to ship a sword.
Quote:Paolo.
It may be down to EEC rules and regulations for they are a bit of a pain in the you know where and many of the stupid things they come up with can even be a work stopper here in the UK, and I'm sure even Europe are getting just a bit fed up with all the nonsense that keeps coming out of Brussels.
From the people who gave us the Brussel Sprout? What did you expect? Today the Brussel Sprout, tomorrow the world!
Caesar audieritis hoc
My items from India were, as I recall, labelled as museum replicas. or display items

But then, they weren't weapons but no one was to know.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Yeah, one of the guys on FAR mentioned he had to clear a thing from Al-hamdd because it was labelled "6mm hamata" and someone thought it was like "9mm glock" so he told Suhel to start labelling them "theatrical armor" or "museum replica."
Thank you all for the responses. Sorry, I was a little late getting back to everyone.

That is a good idea about a theatrical prop. I just hope someone in customs is not an idiot and tries to play with the sword and find out once the fingers have come off that it was not a toy. :lol:
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo