Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Effective were Spears Against Cavalry?
@ Jack The issue for me is that there is a commonly propagated myth regarding the Macedonian cavalry of the Hetaeroi, that is the Companions of Philip and Alexander. There is absolutely no account of them ever attacking, let alone dashing into, infantry. Not from the flanks, not even from the rear. Absolutely none. On the contrary, there are multiple examples of them attacking enemy cavalry. It is as simple as that. There are many who erroneously think that such examples include Chaeronea, Issus and Gaugamela, when there is nothing even hinted at regarding such action. It is a common mistake, unfortunately once too often brought forward. I am sorry if I sounded too harsh.

Regarding the issue of cavalry attacking closed ordered infantry in order I will not say anything here, I will just advise that you read this and other similar threads (by using the search function) to read through the multiple and long arguments proposed by many here in multiple occasions. If I were you, and assuming that you have a real interest in this issue, I would try to find examples and then evaluate the circumstances and the tactics used in ancient battles. Once you have a rough knowledge of the issues and aspects already discussed I will be happy to assist you with any questions you might have but to start this discussion from the beginning I find very taxing and I am sure that a lot of other members do too. I am sure that in these threads you will find a lot that will be against your ideas and a lot that will be in favor.
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ

Messages In This Thread
How Effective were Spears Against Cavalry? - by Macedon - 07-06-2013, 04:15 AM