Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Effective were Spears Against Cavalry?
Quote:A charge that does not end in hand to hand combat on purpose (i.e. it is planned in advance, that it will not end in hand to hand combat against steady enemy unit) - is a feigned charge.

A feigned charge is a charge... "to charge" only means to advance towards an opponent, no contact is required for a charge to be called a charge...

Quote: Oh - how do you know the exact intentions of the Parthians?

Please quote a source that describes their intentions.

So, you are discussing Carrhae without having read Plutarch? The exact reference was kindly given by Eduard some posts ago.

"And at first they purposed to charge upon the Romans with their long spears, and throw their front ranks into confusion; but when they saw the depth of their formation, where shield was locked with shield, and the firmness and composure of the men, they drew back, and while seeming to break their ranks and disperse, they surrounded the hollow square in which their enemy stood before he was aware of the manoeuvre." Plut. Crassus, 24.3

Purpose is clearly given, as far as the author is concerned, reasons why they did not physically attack the Romans are also given.

Quote:No - the Romans did not "sustain" anything. There was no actual clash.

I wonder why I have to repeat what I write again and again...

As Plutarch clearly writes and as I have many times stated, it was first and foremost the psychological shock of such a charge that any infantry would have to sustain/withstand. This is what the Romans sustained, what Plutarch describes as the Parthians seeing "the firmness and composure of the men", which means their will to stand against them, keep their order and not give way.

As with a charge, a melee is not necessary "to sustain an attack".
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ

Messages In This Thread
How Effective were Spears Against Cavalry? - by Macedon - 03-05-2013, 05:56 AM