Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Introduction with an odd question
Hello Stephanie

I am a fellow Dr Who fan, so greetings. Sadly I have the Roman Auton action figure, as well as the one from the 'Fires of Pompeii' episode in which actress Karen Gillan first appeared!

They have not brought out a Rory Centurion figure yet but I will probably get that too if they do.

The layers of tunics, wearing a short sleeved tunic over a longer one, seems to be based on the film 'The Fall of the Roman Empire' and as you are probably aware Rory's outfit has more of a Hollywood look about it than an accurate one. The costume has a mixture of bought items such as those Tarbicus has pointed out and probably items from the BBC costume department with some custom made pieces.

It would appear from the sources that Romans did wear layers of clothing but normally one expects that to be of the same design. Therefore layers of short sleeved tunics or layers of long sleeved tunics and not a short sleeved tunic over a longer one.

For the filming of the two Pandorica episodes the British based group 'The Ermine Street Guard' were involved and they can briefly be seen in the first episode. However many of the Auton characters themselves, presumably extras, are wearing Roman costumes which were also previously used in the BBC series 'Ancient Rome: Rise and fall of an Empire'. These included some versions of Late Roman clothing and equipment.

As Tarbicus has also suggested it is an idea to keep an eye on EBAY for any movie props which might become available but perhaps it might also be worthwhile contacting the BBC costume department and asking for advice on the designs they used.

Yes Roman costumes were wool and metal and all re-enactors will probably agree that the more uncomfortable it is, the more accurate it is!

Best of luck in your enterprise (or should that be Tardis!)

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.

Messages In This Thread
Introduction with an odd question - by Stephanie - 03-05-2013, 11:52 PM
Introduction with an odd question - by Tarbicus - 03-06-2013, 12:32 AM
Introduction with an odd question - by Stephanie - 03-06-2013, 01:12 AM
Introduction with an odd question - by Graham Sumner - 03-06-2013, 02:19 AM
Introduction with an odd question - by Stephanie - 03-06-2013, 04:15 AM