Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Introduction with an odd question
Quote:Hi Stephanie. The gladius is the Hanwei gladius. Beware, the blade's quite sharp. I'm not sure you'd be safe or even legal carrying it around at a cosplay convention, so you'd need to check. It's not cheap, either.

Thank you so much for replying! That's another thing I forgot to mention I'm trying to be aware of--convention friendliness and safety. But at least now that I know the name of the style, I can maybe try and and see about getting a replica made out of something lightweight and blunt. My friend and I are huge sticklers for details (something I'm sure you can appreciate!) and that scabbard, aside from being black instead of brown, is pretty much spot-on. Due to the length of it, in my research I was almost beginning to wonder if it was a spatha instead of a gladius, but the hilts were all wrong.

Quote:If you're okay with plastic armour instead of metal (hard to tell what Rory's is) look on Ebay for props/costume from the movie Alexander and you should find something similar. If you find a cuirass like it made in brass or bronze, without super-exaggerated comic book style musculature which is probably more difficult to make than a far more accurate normal body type of form (rant over), let us know :wink:

Will do! We probably won't go the metal route as that would be a death sentence by heat stroke at a con (and probably uncomfortable to boot) but, again, I guess I consider it a matter of getting a sure name on style/pattern etc and then going from there. I 'm considering talking to some friends who are members of the 501st Stormtrooper Legion and see if vacuforming might be the way to go.

(And that's another problem! His cuirass isn't defined at all, and everything I've seen online...is. :lol: )

That last one you linked miiiight work. I'm willing to bet my friend will say no based off screen accuracy but I'm bookmarking it anyway. Big Grin

I saw this and for a moment was like, "Hey, that looks pretty good!" until I realized it was the back. :oops:

Quote:The helmet's what we call a Roman Trooper helmet. It's crap. An abomination. We hate it. I refuse to find a link. Google Images it :evil:

HAHA! The helmet was giving me fits. I'd narrowed it down to about two different styles (Imperial Gallic or Italic, please forgive my ignorance if I'm waaaay off the mark) but couldn't find anything exact.

One thing I'm puzzling over is his many layers of tunic. The braccae/socks/shoes isn't too out of the ordinary for a solider in colder climates from what I've read but it's like he's got an extra layer. There's the red of his longsleeved tunic, but the orange one is what's giving me trouble. I suppose I'd just make two tunics, one longsleeved and red (and tuck that one in) and one shortsleeved and orange?

Probably won't go the wool route with that either for purposes of comfort but I'm so picky on color I'll likely find some white material and dye it myself (same for the braccae).

A variant on this I think would work great for the subarmalis and it's the closest I've found. I know I've seen this exact one on an actual website in a lighter brown color with lion's head details instead of medallions, but the bookmark is at home. I figure the waistband could just hide under the cuirass. I think the skirt goes all the way around on Rory but that may be something we'll just have to settle on.

Once again, thanks so much for your reply and sorry for rambling so much!

Messages In This Thread
Introduction with an odd question - by Stephanie - 03-05-2013, 11:52 PM
Introduction with an odd question - by Tarbicus - 03-06-2013, 12:32 AM
Introduction with an odd question - by Stephanie - 03-06-2013, 01:12 AM
Introduction with an odd question - by Stephanie - 03-06-2013, 04:15 AM