Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lorica segmenta
I am new to roman re-enacting and want a cheaper lorica segmenta and was wondering if this
was historically accurate http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?...Segmentata.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

David replied to the Philistine, “You come to me with sword, spear, and javelin, but I come to you in the name of the LORD of Heaven’s Armies—the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. Today the LORD will conquer you, and I will kill you and cut off your head. And then I will give the dead bodies of your men to the birds and wild animal
In short, it's "okay", and I use "okay" generously. I owned an off brand segmentata (please notice the spelling has an extra "ta" in it).

The fit and finish just isn't there, the leather is horrible and broke the first time I wore it. If people complain that the Deepeeka has flaws, than they will hate this one. And ohh, at least on mine the back shoulder straps were incorrectly on the outside of the armor.

Honestly just pay up the extra $100 and get the Deepeeka or contact DSC and order one directly from them, which surprisingly doesn't really cost more than the Deepeeka
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Welcome aboard Tanner!
I actually owned the offending piece, once. It was awfully ill-fitting, inaccurate, was poorly constructed, and was just bad overall.
Matt is right. Put forth another hundred or so and it'll be worth it.
A good segmentata only costs little more. Furtheremore, even if the fit seems to be right (which I'm questioning anyway) a segmentata from India sometimes (the cheaper the more often) bad materials used. This means that leather straps and brass links are prone to break. If so you're ending up having to get a new one sooner of later.

Ergo, it's cheaper to save some more money and get a better one. I personally prefer to have segmenata only custom made to your sizing, or do it yourself. It's not the hardest item to make, actually.
ALA I BATAVORUM
One of the guys from Legio XI Claudia in Georgia made a great DIY guide to make your own segmentata. If I can find it I'll post it.
Quote:One of the guys from Legio XI Claudia in Georgia made a great DIY guide to make your own segmentata. If I can find it I'll post it.

How's that for timing. I started a topic on that yesterday with a link.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Thanks for the advice I will just save more money and get a deepeeka.
David replied to the Philistine, “You come to me with sword, spear, and javelin, but I come to you in the name of the LORD of Heaven’s Armies—the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. Today the LORD will conquer you, and I will kill you and cut off your head. And then I will give the dead bodies of your men to the birds and wild animal
Hi Tanner
To put things into perspective, the set you were looking at cost about 120 sterling and a custom set made to your size totally accurate would cost 500 sterling.
Hope that helps, escpecially with future purchases.
One gets what one pays for.
Kevin
Kevin
Armae have blog posts for building a Kalkriese seg.

Building your own lorica segmentata episode 1
Building your own lorica segmentata episode 2

Original French versions:

Construire sa propre lorica segmentata… épisode 1
Construire sa propre lorica segmentata… épisode 2
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Just learned slingers didn't use lorica segmentata because of the restriction.
Didn't Vegetius say that all legionaries had to practice with the sling?
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
And a rhird with the Bow?
Kevin
Kevin
I'm talking about the balearic auxiliary slingers. They had a tunic, cloak, pugio, their slings, and ammunition, as far as I know