Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brass \"S\" Balteus Clips
Does anyone have a pattern or pictures for Brass "S" Balteus Clips? The clip that holds the Balteus on the Lorica Segmantata? And how many are used 2? 3? 4?
Thank you.
I'm not sure if we really have any historical sources for thise. That being said, just make something up yourself, but make sure they can't be seen.
ALA I BATAVORUM
This is what I would call re-enactment cheating for the Romans most certainly did not use this method to hold their belts up.

If one has to cheat there is a much better way where there is no need to have anything to hold the belt up other than the segmentata itself, if the rolled edg has been made correctly with a good shape to it one can tap in two small pieces of thick wire. This wire should be straight and as it is tapped into both front and back rolled edges until they become tight but leave around 5 to 8mm sticking out at the front and the rear put the rear wire in first. Then make the belt hole correct and when the belt is fastened tight around the lorica you then spring the two front halves apart and locate the wire pin into the other half of the lorica which locks the belt so tight it is impossible to fall off the rolled edge of the segmentata.
Brian Stobbs
But some S clips have been found. I nicknamed them " suspendarius" some years ago here on RAT. I think MikeBishop had something to do with the find?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Yes, I was under the impression that "S" clips were historically accurate as well
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt