Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reconstructing Ancient Linen Body Armor - New Book
(09-04-2016, 12:05 PM)Dan Howard Wrote: There is also king Amasis' armour. 

I've just learnt that this kind of cloth can be made waterproof by twining with a pile. You don't need a waterproof coating.

The question with the Amasis armor for me has always been was it considered amazing because it was a super high quality linen armor and the Greek examples were less so, or was it amazing because linen was too precious and difficult to work to find used throughout greece.  Egypt was a major linen source, but the best linen came from Colchis.  I have always wondered exactly what was going on with the Jason story because the panoply of the Neo-hittites and Uratians is in many ways like the early hoplites.

By pile i asssume you mean something like untwisted yarn?  I wonder if it is truly water proof as opposed to water resistant and proof against splash wetting rather than submersion.  Link to a ref if you can.

Do we have any Greek sail fragments? Love to know how they were woven.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reconstructing Ancient Linen Body Armor - New Book - by Paul Bardunias - 09-04-2016, 10:19 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earliest Modern Mention of Glued Linen Armor? Creon01 11 4,391 12-13-2017, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  Reconstructing ancient art Giannis K. Hoplite 12 6,109 10-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite