Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reconstructing Ancient Linen Body Armor - New Book
I think this is the Dura twinned linen greave

(08-25-2016, 04:21 PM)Giannis K. Hoplite Wrote: Dan, the information about Philip's armour comes from the current ephorate of Archaeology and headmistress of the museum of Vergina with whom I spoke personally about the cuirass of Philip. She saw the MI reconstruction and pointed out how it was wrong. I think they found the purple dye under the gold decoration.
Besides. There is another identical armour from another Macedonian tomb, which also had an iron helmet and the only iron greaves ever found. It also has traces of leather and fabric.

Khaire
Giannis

I think that armor is an attempt to render a textile or leather item in metal- like the pilos and boeotian helms.  I have long wondered though if there were iron plates secreted coat of plates style in some of these.  I even found a possible candidate, a riveted fragment that looked just like the chest of a coat of plates from a Bactrian dig.  I posted it on here years ago, not sure I could find it now.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reconstructing Ancient Linen Body Armor - New Book - by Paul Bardunias - 08-25-2016, 05:40 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earliest Modern Mention of Glued Linen Armor? Creon01 11 4,391 12-13-2017, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  Reconstructing ancient art Giannis K. Hoplite 12 6,109 10-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite