Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reconstructing Ancient Linen Body Armor - New Book
(08-23-2016, 02:03 PM)rocktupac Wrote:
(08-23-2016, 03:26 AM)Paullus Scipio Wrote: Given the too numerous to mention flaws in this book - including faulty, indeed outright false, data, what appears to be 'cheating' on tests, the bad methodology, misrepresentations, selective methods of information provided, the magicians 'catching bullets' type trick with the arrow shot at a person etc etc, I have a suspicion that this work may well be a deliberate elaborate hoax...... Undecided

You're [removed by moderator] if you think that.

It seems you don't recognise tongue-in-cheek irony when you see it !

Nevertheless the book is guilty of all the detailed matters I referred to, and then some.....far too many to detail here, for they occur on the majority of pages. "....there are dozens of references to the linothorax in ancient texts..." "the linothorax was in use for a thousand years" are just two of the outrageously false claims made on behalf of 'The Linothorax Project'. It starts with an unevidenced assumption - that Greek and Macedonian Tube-and-Yoke corselets were made of glued layers of linen - and simply goes downhill from there. In fact I use this book to illustrate how NOT to go about a scholarly or scientific investigation.

I agree with Dan, one can only lament the fact that so much time, money and effort has been wasted on a 'fictional' pseudo-scientific project, namely that Tube-and-Yoke corselets in Greece and Macedon were made of layers of glued linen ( ancient fibreglass? ) when those resources could have been put to better use in a worthwhile project.

I am also mindful of the fact that much of the data in the book obviously came from various threads this Forum, and so far as I am aware, that fact is completely unacknowledged. That amounts to plagiarism, considered highly unethical by scholars generally.

Since I've no wish to discuss any of the above further with you, it might be best if matters were left there.
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reconstructing Ancient Linen Body Armor - New Book - by Paullus Scipio - 08-24-2016, 05:16 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earliest Modern Mention of Glued Linen Armor? Creon01 11 4,391 12-13-2017, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  Reconstructing ancient art Giannis K. Hoplite 12 6,109 10-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite