Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reconstructing Ancient Linen Body Armor - New Book
According to Aldrete's figures, his magical glued linen construction provides better protection than a similar weight of hardened steel. It should be noted that some very well funded multi-national companies tried for decades to come up with body armour that provided better protection than hardened steel. Every combination of fibre and glue known to man was exhaustively tested and they came up with nothing until the invention of aramid (kevlar).

Quote:I share your view regarding the Dura Europa piece, yet I think that Granger-Taylor's article has a merit in terms of the connection between twining and armour, as said article mentions twined coconut fibre armour from Oceania. After all, armour made by using the twining technique exists. Here is an example
Are you sure that the weave is twined? All of the reports I've read simply say that the Kiribati coconut fibre was "woven" without anything more specific. It is hard to find a close-up photo but this one at Pitt Rivers doesn't look like a twined weave.
http://web.prm.ox.ac.uk/weapons/index.ph...eania-222/
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reconstructing Ancient Linen Body Armor - New Book - by Dan Howard - 01-29-2016, 05:38 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earliest Modern Mention of Glued Linen Armor? Creon01 11 4,391 12-13-2017, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  Reconstructing ancient art Giannis K. Hoplite 12 6,109 10-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite