Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pugio book help
There supposedly is a book only about pugios in the same manner that a book exists on swords (Miks). What is the name and author of the
pugio book.

Is it a large book in terms of dimensions and who sells it?

Thanks
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
You either mean Jurgen Obmanns book by the same publishing house:
http://www.vml.de/d/inhalt.php?ISBN=978-...-2&print=1

Or the recent book 'Pugio -Gladius Bervis est' by Marco Saliola (RAT member) and Fabrizio Casprini.
This book has also been discussed on here.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Marco's book (which I still haven't finished yet :oops: )) is discussed here:

http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/18-refe...ember.html
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I`m going to buy Marco's book too!

Quote:There supposedly is a book only about pugios in the same manner that a book exists on swords (Miks).
Could you tell me which book about swords you are refering to?
(aka Niels)
Latinitas: Römische schwertbewaffnung in der kaiserzeit, or something like that.
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
Thanks, Mark!
It`s a pity that I`m not able to read German, so I have to find an English book about gladii used during the late Roman Republic and early principate.

If someone could recommend me a book about gladii from the above mentioned period, I would be grateful Big Grin.
(aka Niels)
Quote:I`m going to buy Marco's book too!

You'll certainly find it on the Oxbow Books website. Can't help with the gladius as there are far better users on here than me! (like your avatar pic by the way!)
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Thanks! Here the original photo.

I`ll order Marco`s book here together with this book, but thanks for your suggestion. I`ll keep this company in my mind. I know the latter is written in German, but I think it`s worth buying this book because of the drawings. I hope someone could recommend me a title.
(aka Niels)
Thank you all for the information. Now, the question no one wants to answer....which book is better in terms of technical detail....
materials, dimensions, clarity of drawings or photograph etc.

Thanks
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
I only know Marco's book but it certainly ticks all of those boxes (although, if you look at the thread I suggested, there is a comment about a lack of foot notes.)
Moi Watson

Quote:I only know Marco's book but it certainly ticks all of those boxes (although, if you look at the thread I suggested, there is a cooment about a lack of foot notes.)

I agree with Moi. Marco`s book has detailed pictures of different pugios found, the classification of types is plausible and well done in my opinion and in addition it is a very beautiful book.
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]