Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tent questions
Forgive me if this topic has been addressed before, but is there any evidence, literary or otherwise, that the Romans used colored tents to designate those used by centurios or senior officers?<br>
<br>
I noticed, in an earlier post relating to painting fabric tents tents to look like leather, that Matt Amt said there was no evidence relating to tent colors "except perhaps for officers." Is there something in Josephus or Vegetius perhaps that discusses tent colors for officers? I don't recall coming across such a reference, but I would welcome it if someone has and can provide chapter and verse.<br>
<br>
And while we're at it, what is the evidence relating to "centurio'size" tents as opposed to the standard legionary "papilio"? I know there have been "high-walled" (a la Ermine Street Guard) and "low-walled" (a la Legio XX) tent reconstructions. Is it now accepted that the "high-walled" tents were used by centurios and that the standard contubrunium tent was of the low-walled variety? Or is a centurio tent something else entirely, size-wise?<br>
<br>
T. Flavius Crispus<br>
Legio VI Victrix Pia Fidelis<br>
California, USA<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
T. Flavius Crispus / David S. Michaels
Centurio Pilus Prior,
Legio VI VPF
CA, USA

"Oderint dum probent."
Tiberius
Quote:</em></strong><hr>And while we're at it, what is the evidence relating to "centurio'size" tents as opposed to the standard legionary "papilio"?<hr><br>
As far as I know, this comes from Hyginus, who says that the centurion's tent is pitched in the space left vacant by the two missing <em>papiliones</em> of the guys on guard duty.<br>
If I remember right, Sir Ian Richmond identified three sizes of tent on TC, so he guessed they were contubernium, centurion and officer tents.<br>
(Maybe someone can confirm the last bit?) <p></p><i></i>
** Vincula/Lucy **