Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Rise of Imperial Rome, AD 14-193
Osprey have decided upon the cover design for The Rise of Imperial Rome AD 14-193. I have mixed feelings. What do others think? (I should point out that, for this series, they almost always use a classic painting, rather than new artwork or ancient artefacts.)
[attachment=6466]ESS076front-cover.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
I can see why you have mixed feelings as that image is not exactly representative of the latest views on Roman military equipment. However, it's a nice enough image, so maybe it will help shift copies.

In any case, I (along I'm sure plenty of others) am very pleased that they have covered this period, as I am struggling to think of another single volume narrative military history of the first two centuries AD, so in a sense, the cover does not matter too much - I for one will certainly be buying it. I thought they had stopped commissioning titles in the series, so it's good to see it is alive and well.

One question though - I hope you don't mind me saying - was this always going to be the title? When I first saw it on Amazon before seeing the dates, I was expecting it to be about Rome's conquest of the Mediterranean basin or maybe Italy itself, rather a history of the the Principate/"High Roman Empire".

Anyway, whatever the title or cover, I'm sure it will be excellent and best of luck with the book!
Quote:One question though - I hope you don't mind me saying - was this always going to be the title? When I first saw it on Amazon before seeing the dates, I was expecting it to be about Rome's conquest of the Mediterranean basin or maybe Italy itself, rather than a history of the the Principate/"High Roman Empire".
Funny you should say that. When they commissioned it, it was called Rome at War AD 14-193, as it is essentially (sorry) the prequel to Michael Whitby's Rome at War AD 293-696 (which starts with Septimius Severus).
Quick answer is that I don't like it because it seems too busy and hectic but I suppose battles are Wink (only an aesthetic view).

But secondly, it does not seem to me to represent the Imperial period - it suggests very early republic to me.

I think there are better covers to be had, even amongst classical paintings.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:When they commissioned it, it was called Rome at War AD 14-193

That would have made more sense.

If they were determined to use a painting on the cover, why not Caravaggio, or even Mark Rothko for that matter? Both would have looked better, and been about as relevant as this one (I've always disliked Poussin...)

The same image is used on the cover of the old Oxford Classics edition of Tacitus' Histories. It's supposed to represent the fall of the Jerusalem temple, but the title is the only Roman thing about it. I'm constantly mystified by the desire of certain publishers (Osprey in particular) to fill up visual space with reproductions of entirely irrelevant and misleading historical genre art from the 16th-19th centuries. I can only presume it's just cheap filler.
Nathan Ross
Such premodern artwork has one sterling quality - it's in the public domain and they don't have to pay the artist. This is also why old radio programs used so much classical music. I mean, what's the connection between "The Lone Ranger" and "Overature Wilhelm Tell"?
Pecunia non olet
Quote:If they were determined to use a painting on the cover, why not Caravaggio, or even Mark Rothko for that matter? Both would have looked better, and been about as relevant as this one (I've always disliked Poussin...)
The painting ostensibly depicts a Roman subject, Nathan (unlike your Caravaggio and very striking Rothko), but I am entirely in agreement with your verdict on Poussin. (He is too baroque for my taste.) I suggested Arundale's Roman Forum, but the marketing people apparently didn't like it.
Quote:The painting ostensibly depicts a Roman subject

Well, so does this one... Confusedmile:

(Yeah, I know, Picasso is actually 'depicting' David's Rape of the Sabine Women, which in turn was used by T&H on the cover of Simon James' Rome and the Sword...) But my point is that neither Picasso, nor Poussin nor even David present anything genuinely 'Roman', and so none belong on the cover of a modern history book... But like John M Roberts says - it's cheap and it says 'classical' and therefore 'quality'.

Quote:Poussin. (He is too baroque for my taste.)

Hmm, actually I believe Poussin's classicism was intended as a reaction against the contemporary baroque... (fades out into irrelevance)

:whistle:
Nathan Ross
I don't like it, I always felt these paintings represented a republican style and ideaology for whatever reason. I feel something more modern, and especially more accurate, would be the most suitable choice.
This painting was not intended to be the cover of a book! It's misplaced here.

I do prefer covers made from A to Z to serve the content of the book. But, yes, it's cheaper to just take old paintings than to pay a book cover designer...
[Image: inaciem-bandeau.png]
No, I don't like it. Like Moi mentioned, it seems a bit frantic.

Also, to me, the title and painting don't seem to go together. If I think of the title, the mental image I get is nothing like the cover. And vice versa. If I think of this time period, I think of stability, strength, order, and the like. The cover is too confused and baffled. But I suppose they need something exciting to grab a potential reader's attention.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
I'm certainly not fond of it, but, given their available choices, as you mention, can understand why. It certainly panders to the common perceptions, only these days reinforced by the latest comic-book media offerings.

(I shall resist any comment on the artistic style as I am certainly not qualified :whistle: )

It could be a whole lot worse! If it helps sell any extra and people actually read what's in it (and I may do so myself), then all to the good.
Quote:Well, so does this one... Confusedmile:
Now that would make a fantastic book cover!

Quote:If I think of the title, the mental image I get is nothing like the cover. And vice versa. If I think of this time period, I think of stability, strength, order, and the like.
My thoughts exactly. Like this.

Given the results of the poll, I hope that potential readers will not be judging the book by its cover!
Quote:What do others think?
It does nothing for me. It's supposedly classic, but other than that, there's no indication to the untrained eye what it depicts. It's a bit of a mess. Why not a more realistic painting by, say Alma Tadema?
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_h9Q2_DTj5iI/TO...elia-s.jpg
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Perhaps in Alma-Tadema's repertoire the most close related painting could be this one:

The triumph of Titus

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co...Tadema.jpg
SI VIS PACEM COLE IVSTITIAM

NVLLA SINE DIGNITATE FELICITAS

LVCIVS SERGIVS ANTONINVS - Toni Sagarra

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PEOPLE · Republican and Imperial Rome family tree poster Cornelius Hirsch 2 1,519 11-02-2016, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Cornelius Hirsch
  Subject: H-WAR REVIEW: \'Rome\'s Imperial Moment in the East? Palle 0 795 03-31-2009, 07:56 PM
Last Post: Palle
  Armour of imperial Rome ! Anonymous 4 1,602 11-18-2004, 11:04 PM
Last Post: Vincula