Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brow \"guards\"
Hi all
Not sure if this is in the right place....Mods please redirect please if ness...but after reading several threads on adjusting Deepeka helmets, especially brow guards, i can assure everyone that, in this instance, the Deepeka brow guard on thier new Galic F is of very good/quality steel that can be welded/take a weld very well.
I feel i need to mention this as i have read previous posts over the years stating that the brow guard was cast iron.........not any more. It is very good steel for weldind if anyone wishes to try.
Pics too big to upload....sorry
Kevin
The mods

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Kevin
The weld on the guard...
Can you see it?
Its good quality steel people.....not cast as was refered in earlier posts
Kevin

Kevin
Steel? You're sure? Does-it rust?
[Image: inaciem-bandeau.png]
Pardon my ignorance... Because I do not own a Deepeeka Helm. WHy would you need to weld the Brow Guard in the first place?

I have a helmet that has a broken guard and believe that it is cast iron. Welders in my area will not touch it. ANd if they do, I would be able to afford a better helmet for the price of the repair.
Also, a browguard is an easy piece to cut and to forge, so may be readily replaced. It is the only piece of helmet I can confidently make :-). I have three Deepeeka helmets, all browguards are just plain iron/steel.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
I squashed an early Deepeeka gallic H helmet and in the process broke the brow guard. It was made of cast iron.
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
The work was done in order to make the helmet more like the original.
Maybee others are cast but mine was definatly steel.
See link for alterations on the Galic F
http://www.armae.com/antiquite/11antiquitecadre.htm
Kevin
Kevin
Hi Kevin, the link seems not to be working... One thing amazes me about people wearing Deepeeka helmets. The bowls of the Deepeeka gallic type helmets are quite round in shape and in addition the hinges of the cheek pieces are also bent outwards. I have bent the hinges (both of the bowl and the cheek pieces) inwards and in this way the helmet "sits" on the head closely and also looks much better...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Quote:Hi Kevin, the link seems not to be working...
No problem for me? :?:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
Virilis post=330638 Wrote:Hi Kevin, the link seems not to be working...
No problem for me? :?:

Mea culpa! I was expecting a modified gallic F helmet, not the Armae site :oops: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
The two pics from the link showing the mods necessary on the helmet, courtesy of Armea.com
Kevin

Kevin
I think that like Patrick I also have to ask the question of why should one have to weld a helmet peak (not a brow guard) for the brow band is brass and sits below the helmet peak.
As far as I think the peak of most helmets are not welded on but are held at the centre front and the two rivets at the sides.
Brian Stobbs
The helmet peak, my apologies for calling it a brow guard, on the Deepeka Gal;ic F finishes in front of the ear guards/protectors where as the original runs to the middle of the ear guards/protectors, a difference of a least an inch on each side, so i had to extend the peak, cut and weld an extra piece in, to make it long enough to look like the original.
Hope that clears things up.
Kevin
Kevin
Quote:Hi Kevin, the link seems not to be working... One thing amazes me about people wearing Deepeeka helmets. The bowls of the Deepeeka gallic type helmets are quite round in shape and in addition the hinges of the cheek pieces are also bent outwards. I have bent the hinges (both of the bowl and the cheek pieces) inwards and in this way the helmet "sits" on the head closely and also looks much better...

Some of us actually have rounder heads than others.... Cool
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  low brow humour richard robinson 3 1,324 11-13-2010, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Forty-One
  Double brow ridge on Italic D marsvigilia 9 2,153 02-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Last Post: Cornelius Quintus
  helmet brow gaurd Anonymous 10 2,358 02-06-2005, 11:52 AM
Last Post: Anonymous