Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brow \"guards\"
Quote:The work was done in order to make the helmet more like the original.
Maybee others are cast but mine was definatly steel.
See link for alterations on the Galic F
http://www.armae.com/antiquite/11antiquitecadre.htm
Kevin

the original has the brow guard rivits over the center of the ear.... :errr:

http://cdn.romanarmytalk.com/media/kunen...neweye.jpg

and

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http...Aw&dur=498
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Kevin.

Thank you for the reply I can see where your coming from now but has anyone chased up these guys about getting things correct in the first place. For I am forever hearing people say that they are having to make alterations to gear made by these people.
Brian Stobbs
Ahhhh.....now im talking about the F from Besancon in France, those 2 pics look like the one from Sisak. Both have the helmet peak rivets finishing in the centre of the earpiece.
Attached is the standard Deepeka, my modified and the original.
Kevin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Kevin
Not to offend anyone here... that is the last thing that I want to do, so pardon my ignorance...

But, if you are going to pay the price of a Deepeeka Helmet, and have to make so many conversions then why not just buy a trooper helmet for less and save money making the conversions... or spend more and have an armorer make it exactly the way you want it?

I guess if it gives you pleasure and satisfaction doing the work, then thats a good thing.

If these companies are going to manufacture something and call it a Gallic "F" or "G" or "A" "B" or "C" shouldn't it be exactly what it is?

I am so new to this Roman Empire World of Historical Accuracy and already tired of the exactness that items "aren't"... If you are going to tool something and take the time to do so... why not get it right in the first place?

I have also heard the argument that "These companies just don't understand what is right and what isn't" I am a bit dumbfounded on that frame of mind... If a manufacturing company is going to make or create something... then shouldn't they be doing more research then you are??? I don't get it...

Was it Robertson that gave the helmets the letter titles? How do we know there is not a Gallic "LMNOP" ??? Did the Romans or the Greeks or the Gauls have the ability to make two "Exact" helmets the same? (Seriously, I am asking that because I do not know.)

I am not trying to start a fire or an argument... these are just innocent questions from someone who really doesn't know any better... So, please don't take offense.

Patrick
You do raise a valid point in the search for accuracy. The exact placement of different parts making up a helmet would indeed have varied, the main goal of the armorer being the creation of a functional object. But we do know which parts should be there and how one type differs from another. With so few helmets found, when replicating one the existing find is the Holy Grail, but there will have been variations for sure. In the Armea example the helmet depicted and dubbed "wrong" could be perfecly acceptable to any Roman soldier then, but the placement does differ from the known original. I am not really all that good in helmets, but in swords and knives also types may be recognised, but no two are the exact same. Close, maybe, but not the same.
So making your own design of a locket based on the knowledge gathered from how the existing ones were made and the way figures were portayed would IMHO be totaly OK. You cannot claim archeological provenance, of course, but you would still have a killer locket :-)

On manufacture, well, I have posted on that subject before repeatedly. It also baffles me why items cannot be made to specifications. I do suppose it has a lot to do with attitude. The production proces in India for instance is mainly not a factory type setup as we know it. Manufacturers contract out to small workshops, but then it is often again contracted out. The reading of scale drawings seems to be disregarded in that process, so one time you get what you ordered, next time things have gone horribly wrong in the quality control and the object is very "off spec". Deepeeka do have a better record, as they make larger volumes and can have their own workshop with dedicated craftsmen. But they also sell stuff they do not make themselves. I believe chainmail is one of these.
Sometimes instructions are completely ignored or things are added which are on no drawing. Like when I tried to have some blades done and suddenly fullers were added wich started 15 cm below the handle and ended 15 cm above the point, which I only learned about when I unpacked the parcel. Why? Beats me! The blades had to be scrapped. So now I forge my own Smile .

I hope this helps .....
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  low brow humour richard robinson 3 1,324 11-13-2010, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Forty-One
  Double brow ridge on Italic D marsvigilia 9 2,153 02-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Last Post: Cornelius Quintus
  helmet brow gaurd Anonymous 10 2,357 02-06-2005, 11:52 AM