Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for basic soldier and Centurion items
Hey all. My name is Guy and I am new to the forum. The period I believe I'm looking for is Empire. I am interested in putting together a Centurion and soldier impression. Im in Texas. I have found several places that offer "off the shelf" and some custom. http://www.imperiumancientarmory.com/, KOA and SOTW. Any advice on who to purchase from? I'm not sure if imper. armory is even in business. SOTW has items but is hard to get a hold of by phone....and i have questions. Smile
Also, are there any good items out there or do they all need tweaking for correctness? I cant add a pic of what I like for some reason.
Well if you're in Texas I believe M. Demetrius is in a group in your area, you should talk to him.

I'm with the 6th Legion in SC and I can say Soul of the Warrior is a reliable supplier from my experience. Rusty is a good and honest guy, but he's really busy because of his job. He'll get back to you, I'm sure of it.

I think Imperium and KOA are defunct, but I don't know for sure.

Armamentaria is also an excellent supplier, although I've never ordered from them, but they offer a wider range of Roman-Era gear than SOTW as well in their gear.
Al-hamdd and DSC are good too, but I haven't ordered from them before either.

However, the Imperial era extends over a very large timeframe. What period specifically are you looking for? As the Army changed in appearance significantly about every 100 years.
Welcome to the forum, but you'll have to be a little more specific Guy. First of all, what period do you want to cover? The "empire" portion covers 500 years, though most American groups (if not all) cover mid-first through early second century AD.

Some "regular" file and rank soldier has some of the same kit as a Centurion, but not all of it. It is typically believed that centurions did not use segmentata (plate armor). But chainmail and scale armor was used by both centurions and regular soldiers (miles).

I could keep going on, but let's get more specific before I start rambling :wink:
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Chainmail and Scalemail Armor dominated the army for the entire imperial period.

Overall a Centurion probably would have had better armor than a rank-and-file soldier.
Hey and thanks for the reply. Yeah I know I was vague on time line but I was wanting to add a pic to show you guys what I had in mind & go from there. Any info on pic attachment? May make things easier.
@Guy Welcome to the forum! It is a good thing to check up on things like authenticity on the forum, there are many who will help you. Have you had a look at legio XX http://www.larp.com/legioxx/ the Handbook for Legionaires, yet? A most welcoming place with ton's of info, also how to make stuff yourself. Plent of pictures showing what are good pieces and what should be avoided.

@Evan I believe you should distinguise between Vendors and Manufacturers. SOTW, KOA and Armamentaria are vendors, Al Hammd and DSC are Indian manufacturers who will also undertake direct orders. Deepeeka is a well known Indian manufacturer who does not do direct orders.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Ah okay, yeah I should have distinguished.

Legio VI uses the Legio XX Handbook for the most part. It's excellent.

To upload attatchments you can either use "Add File" underneath your post, or go to imgur.com and upload there, then copy the "BB Code and Forums" link and paste it in your post.
KOA (Kult of Athena, q.v. http://kultofathena.com/) is still in business, but I'm not sure about Armamentaria. Always consult with people who have been around a while before buying ANYthing from a supplier, whether manufacturer or merchant. It's not unusual to find an item on eBay advertised as "Spartan Roman Medieval Authentic Battle-Ready", only to find it's none of those things, and you're stuck with some fantasy piece of armor or equipment.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Most important, consult with the leaders of the group you may plan to join or interact with. Different groups have different standards.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Terry Nix of Nix Imperial creations is based out of Houston. He might have some stuff in stock for you. I sent you a private message.

http://www.niximperial.com
https://www.armamentaria.com/store/

They seem to be very much in business still. Adrian Wink does a great job in getting his stuff as accurate as possible and uses a good many European and Indian manufacturers. He is also a re-enactor, so understands the demands of the hobby. And no, I do not have any business interest :wink:
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
I'm pretty sure SBH (Longovicium) just recently got his Spangenhelm from Armamentaria a few weeks ago, so they're definately still in buisness.
Adrian is definitely in business, recommended to all. He posts on here as Peronis.
Richard Craig AKA Aulus Maximus
Cohors I Tungrorum
Cohors I Batavorum
Thanks for all the info guys. Between the recommended vendors and the info/pics on this forum....I have been given a big learning curve.
Just one more thing, I need a a good book on the chronology of armor and weapons. Chronology of the types/patterns of armor and weapons used is my main stumbling block.