Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter Clothing in 1st century AD legionary re-enactment
Quote:So you didn't like my "more" scientific mention of how the Romans adopted the gladius, triumphs, chainmail, helmets, maniple formation?
Have I ever said this? I stressed the fact that it are not the statements that I doubt, only the method of assumptions. I also never questioned in my post the fact that the Romans adopted gladius/triumphs/... But I do question the validity of saying that the Romans adopted something like feminalia because they adopted other things as well.

Quote:If you want to talk about the steam engine, then by your extended logic "nuclear fission worked well but people of the 20th Century didn't adapt it for their cars because they were stubborn".
No, it's not because they were stubborn. It is because they had more efficient energy production for car-use (implementing nuclear fission in a car would be too expensive), and it was not deemed necessary. (In the ancient world: use of the steam engine wasn't quite necessary because of other kinds of energy production, e.g. hydropower, animals and slaves.)

Quote:I'm amazed you actually compared a steam engine to a pair of pants. And I'm the one being put down for using logical conclusions base on analysis and experience?
Yes, I do compare those. And why? Because of your very general statement that "if something worked, the Romans used it". You have just proven yourself that this cannot be applied to just 'anything' and that, therefore, this statement is not correct.
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History

Messages In This Thread
Winter Clothing in 1st century AD legionary re-enactment - by Titvs Statilivs Castvs - 03-01-2013, 01:35 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4th Century Legionary Leggings Antoninus05 12 3,398 04-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Best Legionary Helmet for 43AD or Mid Century Antoninus05 6 2,124 02-06-2011, 12:01 AM
Last Post: texascavtrooper
  Late 2nd Century Legionary Infantry Caius Valens 22 5,290 12-11-2006, 09:33 PM
Last Post: Tib. Gabinius