Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter Clothing in 1st century AD legionary re-enactment
It's a lost battle, Doc. Here's my free advice, for what it's worth. If you want to wear socks, and the unit you're in approves it, then wear socks. I wear socks --the sewn together 3 piece version-- since it's more comfortable for my feet. Most of the time, commercial caligae don't really fit very well in the first place, and I have not yet purchased a custom-fit pair for financial reasons.

Because I have a problem with my feet that makes it pretty difficult, even painful, to wear caligae on hard surfaces, I put a supporting insole inside the sock. I'm fully aware that probably never happened in any form except and unless a sock-wearing Ancient Roman put layers of wool felt under his feet.

On the other hand, nobody can see what's inside my socks, my feet don't ache after a couple of hours, and I'm happy with it. Other people who are not of such a mind don't have to wear socks/insoles, and I won't say a word about their choices.

On caligae day, I'm gellin
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Messages In This Thread
Winter Clothing in 1st century AD legionary re-enactment - by M. Demetrius - 02-14-2013, 08:41 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4th Century Legionary Leggings Antoninus05 12 3,397 04-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Best Legionary Helmet for 43AD or Mid Century Antoninus05 6 2,120 02-06-2011, 12:01 AM
Last Post: texascavtrooper
  Late 2nd Century Legionary Infantry Caius Valens 22 5,289 12-11-2006, 09:33 PM
Last Post: Tib. Gabinius