Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter Clothing in 1st century AD legionary re-enactment
Femenalia? Feminalia? I only saw in ancient literature feminalia, not femenalia, do you have sources for that? :-D

And for insects, to be protected, we put our tibialia above the feminalia. No insect can pass.

About the iPod argument. Yes, you didn't know that. But you know about walkman. About dress. About trousers, hat, shoes.

You know that fashion in those times evolved much longer than present days. A new clothing couldn't be adopted in few years. In fact, since from the Gauls and their braccae until first evidence on Trajan Column, more than a century separate those two events. But that is why I assume at least some people already wear them by the flavian time period. Because no changes were brutal, and feminalia (femenalia?) where known since a century or more.

In last ressort, as a flavian legionary, I have gaul ancestry. I would be proud to be Roman, but as romans, I would be pragmatical.

It's a real pity that the sources are so rare!

Handgun argument :

> for the feminalia, they know how to sew, to make wool or linen, it was technically possible, just with imagination.
> for the handgun : they didn't know powder, they didn't know how to make steel with suficient resistance, it was technically impossible. And we have no evidence of handguns 15 years after the period I'm studying Sad
[Image: inaciem-bandeau.png]

Messages In This Thread
Winter Clothing in 1st century AD legionary re-enactment - by Jori - 02-13-2013, 03:07 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4th Century Legionary Leggings Antoninus05 12 3,398 04-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Best Legionary Helmet for 43AD or Mid Century Antoninus05 6 2,121 02-06-2011, 12:01 AM
Last Post: texascavtrooper
  Late 2nd Century Legionary Infantry Caius Valens 22 5,289 12-11-2006, 09:33 PM
Last Post: Tib. Gabinius