Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting ready for walking Hadrian\'s Wall
[attachment=6679]IMAG0806.jpg[/attachment]

Seven weeks ahead of publication date,this is a proof copy of Fields of Blood. It has in it the battles of Trasimene and Cannae.

I will sign it and post it to anywhere in the world, to the first person to donate £25 to the #RomaniWalk - if they have already given, they can increase their amount to make it £25...

charitygiving.co.uk/benkane

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Seven weeks ahead of publication date,this is a proof copy of Fields of Blood. It has in it the battles of Trasimene and Cannae.

I will sign it and post it to anywhere in the world, to the first person to donate £25 to the #RomaniWalk - if they have already given, they can increase their amount to make it £25...

charitygiving.co.uk/benkane
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

www.benkane.net
Thanks Ben...

I did just contact them via their website and got a reply in English. I think it is his wife that speaks English... so I didn't have any problems communicating Smile

I'm hoping they can make a replica of one of the Bronze age horns from Ireland for a commission...

Thanks for the link

Smile
Claire Marshall

General Layabout

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plateau-imprints.co.uk">www.plateau-imprints.co.uk
[attachment=6953]011768x1024.jpg[/attachment]

Training going well. Did a walk of about 11 miles/18 km in full kit the other day, with no problems.

Shield cover to be picked up today.

Pilum nearly ready at blacksmith's too (it had no buttspike, and was wearing down on the roads, so I am having it shod).

Best of all, have now raised more than £8300/E9545/$12800!

www.benkane.net
Great!
Looking good. Hike up that tunic a wee bit though....don't want anyone thinking you're a mere civilian!! Wink
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Excellent news on the fund raising and I'm pleased you are having your pilum shod Confusedmile: Would hate anything to go lame on this endeavour ;-) !
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I know that my tunic should be higher up over the knee, but it's nice and warm that low! When it gets warmer, I'll raise it... :wink:

www.benkane.net
:grin: Hey, I can be a prize nag at times!! :mrgreen:

I can't talk...my tunic was hanging down in Rome last year! Not intentionally, but
I can't make much excuse ,excepot sweat and a thinner tunic contributed to th dishevaled look!

Best of luck on the walk, I would have liked to have joined you guys.
Still on my list of things to do..I like your regime of preping/training for it,
i think I wil lbe doing the same thing as evnts only get yo uwarmed up to wearing your gear,
then it's over.... 8-)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
[attachment=6993]IMAG1120.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=6994]IMAG1124.jpg[/attachment]

Legionary laundry day. Dreading the moment (tonight/tomorrow) when I hand wash the wool tunic...

That's the steel butt spike that I had put on my a blacksmith.Firehardened wood (the original base/butt) just wears down on the roads.

www.benkane.net
[attachment=6995]IMAG1127.jpg[/attachment]
The 250 m ridge that I'd come down, and now had to go back up...

[attachment=6996]IMAG1128.jpg[/attachment]

The great view from the top. On the far right you can see Glastonbury Tor.

[attachment=6997]IMAG1129.jpg[/attachment]

Me at the top. Hot and sweaty!

[attachment=6998]IMAG1130.jpg[/attachment]

My helmet on the wall, feathers blowing in the breeze.

Today I walked 17 miles/28.2 km. More than 500m of elevation too. I am suitably tired!
Thanks to Moi/Vindex for her suggestion of stuffing wool into the fronts of my boots to prevent bruising. I did so (too late), and it helped a lot.

www.benkane.net
Tip for washing your woolly tunic....

You will need to hand wash it in around 40 degrees. I recommend soak flakes if you can get some rather than detergent. Soap flakes will keep the wool soft and non itchy.

Rinse it out, wring it out - and MOST IMPORTANTLY, pull it back into shape as its drying, both ways Smile

Happy woolly washing
Claire Marshall

General Layabout

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plateau-imprints.co.uk">www.plateau-imprints.co.uk
All done. Thanks for the advice, Claire. I have wool/cashmere washing liquid, which I used. Seems to have worked thus far. Yesterday was the first decent day for drying clothes outside - the tunic had almost dried by the end of the day. No great need for the Roman dehumidifier!

www.benkane.net
Quote:The great view from the top. On the far right you can see Glastonbury Tor.
I know the area a bit - jealous!! Wink
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
We began yesterday, from the west. Started late, because the taxi driver didn't know where to go. Grrr.

Anyway, did 16 Roman miles of the line of the line of the wall,and about 17-18 real miles/ 27-29km. All OK, no blisters, just a bit foot sore. Russ had the hardest time in the mail shirt; his helmet is also about 3 kg.

I don't have the time to post in loads of places, but there are about 19 photos of day one on my Facebook page here

Day Two begins soon!

www.benkane.net

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Walking Hadrians Wall In Early-Mid Imperial Armour...Words From The Wise? jpdt30 1 977 03-18-2018, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Auxilia - Tungrian on Hadrian\'s Wall Paul Elliott 19 5,519 11-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Last Post: Paul Elliott
  Hadrian\'s Wall Charity Walk Tony Riches 9 2,343 06-21-2010, 04:42 PM
Last Post: chrisanson