Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting ready for walking Hadrian\'s Wall
[attachment=6515]IMAG0712.jpg[/attachment]
Look what arrived from Jorge Mambrillo of armillum.com today! My new gladius hispaniensis, and Republican pilum. 8)

Sarah was kind enough to make mine with hobnails (possibly because I am doing this for charity - I don't know).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Quote:
ParthianBow post=331166 Wrote:I got them made by Sarah Juniper, who has been making ancient replica footwear for over 30 years. [..] her boots are all handstitched - not glued, as a lot of caligae/boots are - and I'm told that those ones fall to pieces, whereas hers do not.
I can vouch for the quality of her shoes. She made my Deurne shoes in 2005 and they are still holding up beautifully!

The only minor point would be that she does not do hobnails. At least she stopped doing that shortly before I bought mine.

Duerne - are they late Roman Era?
Quote:Duerne - are they late Roman Era?
Deurne, yes, early 4th c.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
[attachment=6614]IMAG0767.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=6615]IMAG0771.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=6616]IMAG0782.jpg[/attachment]

This was after a 4 mi./6.5km walk in 6C temperatures. I was too warm some of the time! Got straps that fit now, to tie the cheekpieces in place. Also got the leggings on. No gladius as waiting on baldric. I've done this walk three times a week x 3 weeks now, with no problems. This was the first time I did it in the boots, however. I had one blister afterwards, from my toes sliding forward in the boot as I went down a steep slope. Otherwise, they're really comfortable.
The last photo is my cardiophlyax, hand made by Ferran Garreta, which just arrived from Spain today. It's a real piece of art, I think. Light as a feather (almost!) - it's hard to see it stopping a full on sword thrust...gulp...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

www.benkane.net
bed sales panasonic phones new pontiacs sports cases marlee matlin proliant blackberry 7100i mhv2100ah <a href=http://www.jplouboutinbootssale.com/>クリスチャンルブタン メンズ</a>
ms draw powergrab 2002 baby guide h500 pink polk dio psw505 painkiller battle out of hell 1969 buick riviera plastic craft lacing qsc amplifier indash dvd cd players <a href=http://www.monsterheadsetjp.com/>Monster Cable</a>
toy grocery cart us immigration laws matrox rtx 100 nova development corp. hut sunglasses biotone residential contracting car sold <a href=http://www.jplouboutinbootssale.com/>クリスチャンルブタン メンズ</a>
xerox phaser 8200b rescate saladshooter oster egg poacher coaching youth baseball psap kfp740wh atv gear
rosehips smash melee finding nemo the movie keyboard tray orzo <a href=http://www.mcmbagsjapanonline.com/>mcm 通販</a>
<a href=http://www.bluelabelpursejp.com/>バーバリー アウトレット</a>
pmagic.cab firewire express card http: yourwirelesssource buy library cat 1005 mfg 1005_MOTOROLA karaoke hits silk blanket <a href=http://www.marcjacobsstorejp.com/>マークジェイコブス バッグ</a>
gecube Chair A Go Round paper street teas hiragana dictionary lg steam washing machine robot kits for kids lg lry 517 new marine camo make your own purse planon docupen dpen r700 rechargeable handheld pen scanner
To increase people's interest, we have set up a competition that will run for the next 7 days.

The prize is a signed copy of all (6) of my books, all (5) of Anthony Riches' books, and all (2) of Russell Whitfield's books, and a signed photo of us, mudsplattered, on the walk.

THESE PRIZES WILL BE MAILED TO ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.

To enter, all you have to do is to donate £20 or the equivalent (using Paypal) to the charity page for our walk.

Find it here: charitygiving.co.uk/benkane
(Please ignore the boxes etc. about being a UK taxpayer if you are not. Just click continue, until you can pay by Paypal.)

Thank you!

www.benkane.net
Glad the clothes are working for you Ben... it's great to see you out testing the kit.
Claire Marshall

General Layabout

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plateau-imprints.co.uk">www.plateau-imprints.co.uk
Ben, if it helps, there's a fabulous product called Animal Wool (found in Boots or look on line) which is a synthetic fleece. It takes the pressure off toes etc in boots without adding to the bulk around the foot like plasters etc. It's synthetic now but used to be the real stuff, so if you have any un-spun wool (plenty on barbed wire fences!) you may want to use that instead for authenticity's sake. ;-)

It clings to other wool and doesn't slip, nor does it make your feet sweat - I've used it for years on all my "tabs" with the Army. Comes highly recommended!!,
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
@Cheyenne/Claire: thanks so much for making such wonderful stuff - I love it!

@Vindex/Moi: thanks for that tip - my boots seem to have reached a new level of comfort, however. Yesterday, I walked about 5 miles in them with no rubbing, pain etc. However, I will remember the idea of wool when I'm out and about, and if unlucky, will get some of the synthetic stuff.
Thanks too for your very generous donation to the walk - it's much appreciated!!

www.benkane.net
That cardiophlyax is just awesome. Good luck with your walk and I made my donation already. Keep up the good work!
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thanks to you too, Jurjenius! Sorry, I thanked you on FB but not here. Your donation is much appreciated!

Glad you like the cardiophylax. It's truly a piece of art. Nice and light too! Big Grin

www.benkane.net
Do you have a link for the armourer Ben? I'm rather interested in having some Bronze age armour made for my increasing prehistory collection for education

Smile
Claire Marshall

General Layabout

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plateau-imprints.co.uk">www.plateau-imprints.co.uk
Good Luck Ben, although I've walked sections of the Wall in full kit several times, I have never completed the whole thing in a single walk. I love your equipment, its a real treat to see the Republican legionary kitted out like that. I hope all of your party are similarly armed and armoured!

I too have boots from Sarah Juniper, as you say, stitched. She said she doesn't like to ruin the waterproofing by hob nailing them, but I had to do so, 100 nails per boot, I think.

Cat Stairs near Peel Crag may be tricky with the scutum on the back, with the flat shields you can hold then away from the narrow rocky path. Similarly getting through some of the slit gaps in the stone walls me be hard, we can slide them through first or carry them over our heads. I'll be really interested to hear how you got on in May.

Good luck!
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
@Claire: www.ferrangarreta.com is the chap's site.
He doesn't speak English, however, so you might need to use Google Translate - or find someone who speaks Spanish. I can put you in touch with a Spanish reenactor who kindly acted as a go-between, but you might need to make him a tunic or something! (I sent him a signed copy of Hannibal in Spanish as a thank you.)

@Mithras/Paul: thanks very much! Tony will be in Claire's late Roman tunic & trousers, Sarah JUniper's boots, and wearing a late Roman helmet from Peronis. His shield will be late Roman, made by Amy Wallace of Comitatus. Not sure where his sword is from.

Russ will be wearing Tony's auxiliary gear, which I believe is all of good provenance. However, as he has a 'Tough Mudder' event two days after we finish, he will be wearing modern hiking boots. We'll hide his feet in all photos!

www.benkane.net

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Walking Hadrians Wall In Early-Mid Imperial Armour...Words From The Wise? jpdt30 1 967 03-18-2018, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Auxilia - Tungrian on Hadrian\'s Wall Paul Elliott 19 5,467 11-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Last Post: Paul Elliott
  Hadrian\'s Wall Charity Walk Tony Riches 9 2,285 06-21-2010, 04:42 PM
Last Post: chrisanson