Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pilate Imperession
I recently acquired a muscle currais that will be part of a Pontius Pilate impression. Could anyone post a link to a helmet that would be a plausible possibility for such an impression? Preferably one available from North American vendors.
Would it be like a "classic" helmet, such as an Apulo Corinthian, or an Attic? Similar to a Tribune or Legate?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Without wanting to put a damper on this, I don't think he would wear either cuirass or helmet. He would wear a toga.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
I realize he would have been wearing non military garb, I am interested in what his armor would have looked like :?:
As with the other men of his position and social status, he would have wanted to show off his wealth and power. Therefore, he would have worn classical "Greek general style" armor. Most likely, this would have included and Attic style helmet, a submuralis, a metal breastplate, and greaves. All of these would have been brass/bronze, or even gilded, and polished to a brilliant sheen. Here is an Attic style helmet that I've seen a number of people use for impressions like the one that you're attempting.

http://legvi.tripod.com/armamentarium/id439.html

If the pictures do not load, go to "Roman" and then "Helmets". Though I've never bought from him, Rusty is a reputable dealer who knows what he's selling, and seems to be held in high regard on RAT. The armor section has a selection of metal breastplates, as well.

In addition, pilate would not have wielded a gladius or a spatha. Rather, he would have worn a different style of sword that was worn by tribunes and up, though the name of said sword is lost on me. :?
Tyler

Undergrad student majoring in Social Studies Education with a specialty in world history.

"conare levissimus videri, hostes enimfortasse instrumentis indigeant"
(Try to look unimportant-the enemy might be low on ammunition).
Quote:I realize he would have been wearing non military garb, I am interested in what his armor would have looked like :?:
I was thinking of what he would have worn during the trial of Christ, which I guess is the context in which most people would think of him. Under what circumstances do you envisage him wearing armour?
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Quote:In addition, pilate would not have wielded a gladius or a spatha. Rather, he would have worn a different style of sword that was worn by tribunes and up, though the name of said sword is lost on me. :?

Parazonium??
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
Yes, Mithras, I think that's exactly right.
http://www.romanarmytalk.com/19-greek-mi...onium.html
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.